Help i have no clue what kind it is or how to care for it.

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by loveapet_and_livelonger, Apr 9, 2006.

1. loveapet_and_livelonger

loveapet_and_livelonger Embryo

Hello,I am trying to find out what kind of turtle we found today.I do alot of dog rescue but never a turtle lol.I do have a couple of pics but you can't tell alot about it.So here is some details:It is green in color with lil yellow and darker green designs on its back and in the lil ridges around the lining of the shell,It also has a white to yellow tummy with lil black looking dots,it has white and green striped legs and neck.It is about the size of a quarter to a half dollar.If anyone can help me i would be ever so greatful..Thanks so much Deb

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. worleygurl

worleygurl New Member

RE: Help i have no clue what kind it is or how to care for i

Did you bring it home? Was it injured? You should not remove any wild animal from the wild. If you simply saw the turtle you should have just left it alone or moved it in the direction it was heading if it was trying to cross the road. It is illegal in most states to remove a turtle from the wild and turn them into pets. You should take it back to where you found it. If it is injured contact a vet or your local Wildlife Rehab Center.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. loveapet_and_livelonger

The lil fellow was at a busy convience store were he had no chance at all.There was not waterways any where close by either.He is only the size of a quarter.when i tried contacting someone on him they said i should have just left him to die that he was probly a snapper anyway.We have a bunch stupid rednecks here that have no clue what their jobs are really about i think....But thanks for the post.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Tinkerbell21

Tinkerbell21 New Member

Where are you located? This could aid in figuring out what kind it is. I'm going to be 100% honest and say relocate it, there has to be a pond or river somewhere for it. It is a wild animal I'm sure, if death is what happens to it, that is the circle of life. The care of any turtle especially an aquatic turtle is rough, they require a lot.

Leslie

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. loveapet_and_livelonger

I live in Alabama,and yes understand the circle of life thing,But at the same time understand that the bible states to take care of all his creatures(creations)I was mainly wanting to save it from death,let it get a lil size to it and set it free.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 ReptileBoards Addict

Post a picture if you can.
    In order to take care of all His creations, some must die. It's a hard, but the way it is. The little fella probably has parasites, have you taken him (or at least a fecal) to the vet?
    The more time he spends with you the more dependent he becomes, try to get him in shape as soon as possible so he can be released successfully.

12. Tinkerbell21

Tinkerbell21 New Member

I'm a christian and I understand what the bible says.

As for its care much like clementine said, the longer you have it, believe it or not, the more of its life you are taking away. It may be killed immediately in the wild if you set it free tomorrow. You may keep it for 2 months and have the same thing happen because it is dependent on you as a human.

It sounds like either a painted turtle, slider or cooter, without a picture we can't tell. If you have any intentions of keeping it, which you seem to, find a good herp vet and get it looked at. S/he will be able to tell you what kind it is etc...

Leslie

13. loveapet_and_livelonger

pic's of the unknown Alabama turtle!

I placed two pic's at the gallery in order to post them here.They are not the best but it is all i can do!Thanks[​IMG][​IMG][/img]

14. loveapet_and_livelonger

RE: pic

And no i am only keeping it till i can find out a lil bit more and see if i can get in touch with someone in wildlife and game here in my state that might actually do their job.Just did not want it to get killed on the pavement.If he dies when i set him free in his habitat then it is gods hands but i do not feel it is right for him to die from careless human hands no that my hands arent but at least i try.And do not in anyway mean for anyone to take this post the wrong way please!Thanks again for all your help.

15. Tinkerbell21

Tinkerbell21 New Member

You have what appears to be a red eared slider, however I can't see the side of the head. Is there a stripe on either side of the head that is orangish, red or even yellow? They aren't neccessarily native to your state, but due to the large numbers of them being bred in captivity, and number of captive releases (when people's tiny pets become big) they are found in Alabama.

Chances are fish and game will dispose of it in a not so friendly manner. I personally would find a nice pond or river and send him on his way.

Leslie

16. Pom_Pom_King

Pom_Pom_King New Member

Here is what we mean. Now for housing, make sure he has something to climb up on, and turtle food can be found at your pet store. Tutles arent the hardest things to take care of.
    [​IMG]

Oh, and another thing is "It is illegal in the U.S. for pet stores to sell any turtle that is less than four inches (10.6 cm) in length (this is problematic for those few turtle species whose full adult size is 4" or less!). The ones sold legally must be at least four inches long from the neck end of the carapace (top shell) to the tail end of the carapace. If male, it will be somewhere between 2-4 years old and already sexually mature. Wild females reach maturity later, between 5-7 years, and will then be over 5 inches (12.7 cm) in length; in captivity, females may reach maturity at about 3 1/2 years." Source: http://www.anapsid.org/reslider.html

17. loveapet_and_livelonger

Turtle

Well im not sure what kind it is but it looks alot like the one you posted but it does not have a strip brhind the ears other than what appears to be a white strip.behind the eyes is whiteish and it has the shell simular to the one you posted.I do have a few more questions if you do not mind.do i need to add water for it and a rock to get up onto?and is there a way to tell how old it is?I would at least like to get a lil info on the type and age before i release it.I am going to call my aunt tomorrow and see if i can place it in her pond.Which at this time has no fish and not whole lot other than frogs lol.I think that will be better for it at this time.And thanks again so much for all the info..

18. Tinkerbell21

Tinkerbell21 New Member

RE: Turtle

It needs water and a place to exit the water fully. There really isn't a way to tell age unless you watched it hatch. By the look of it, it probably isn't any older than a few months or so. As for the type it is, possibly a hybird of some sort. It is definitely a slider. Fish in a pond aren't going to hurt it, however they would be a tasty treat for this guy.

Leslie

19. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

I'm 95% certain that it is a Yellow Belly Slider, not a Red Ear. The markngs on the bottom (plastron) are the giveaway along with the fact that there's not a red stripe. The care is basically the same as a Red-Eared Slider though. Is you look in this forum, there are dozens of threads about RES care that you can read. What everyone has been telling you is right though, aquatic turtles like that are a lot of work, and since it's a wild animal, it should be released. A nearby metro or state park would be ideal...don't tell anyone what you're doing...lol. But as long as it's out of the way of traffic, construction, etc.

20. loveapet_and_livelonger

Well the closest body of water is the dam and let me just say ive seen catfish bigger than me eat anything that hit the water or was in the water lol.So i think my aunts pond would be better.Someone i was talking to said it very well may have been someones pet and the kid may have dropped it bequase of the location in which i found it.Then they ask was i gonna run an add to see if that was the case,but is it wrong of me to think thats not wise due to the fact they couldnt keep hold of it? :D

21. loveapet_and_livelonger

Head and neck pic.

[​IMG]
    Here is an avatar that looks just like my lilguy or gal lol.So this is what the side and head and neck look like,and the other pic's show the belly.So does that mean that it is yellow belly slider?If so thank you all greatly![/img]

22. biochic

RE: Head and neck pic.

Yeah, I'd definitely say he's a Yellow Belly. RES have much more elaborate patterns on their underside usually.

23. loveapet_and_livelonger

Thanks so much!

Thank you to all that have given info on my post.All your help was greatly appreciated!!!He is going to be released saturday into my aunt's pond so wish tubby the turtle good luck.Thanks again for all the help.May i ask are all the sliders equal when it comes to care and such.My 10 year old now would like to have one (just like tubby)she said.So i am thinking on doing research and getting her one.Hey at least we now know what kind to ask for lol..And we also know there are GR8 people like yall that can help if needed.God Bless You All!Any suggestions on getting a yellow belly slider for my ten year old will also be appreciated.By the way she is a very responsable kid and well beyond her 10 years and loves and respects all Gods Creatures big or small..Thank You All!! :(

24. biochic

25. Tinkerbell21

Tinkerbell21 New Member

RE: Thanks so much!

May I recommend adoption of a turtle. Search your local reptile rescue or petfinder. There is a drastic number of sliders who need forever homes.

Leslie