help! lie to landlord? tell the truth? or don't say anything at all?

Discussion in 'Reptile Law & Legislation' started by jkatzenfutter, Apr 29, 2011.

1. jkatzenfutter

jkatzenfutter New Member

Hi everyone. I'm moving from New Jersey to either Queens or Long Island in the Fall and this is my first time moving out of my parents house. I have a dog, a cat, a corn snake, a bearded dragon, and a crested gecko. I knew that I would have a tough time finding an apartment because I have a dog, but now, I'm worried about my reptiles. A lot of people are uneasy about them when they really shouldn't be. I'm sure there are a lot of experienced owners on here and I wanted to ask:

When looking for apartments, should I mention my reptiles? I never thought of it as an issue before, because my entire family (except me) is afraid of and hates my reptiles, but they don't even notice them because I keep their habitats so clean (they are almost like a decoration on a table in my room haha). Am I screwed? :D please help.

-julia

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Cammy

Cammy ReptileBoards Addict

Have you ever heard the saying, "Everything I need to know I learned in kindergarten?" I think this is one of those times. Remember what you learned about lying as a kid? How a lie can turn into much more trouble than a difficult truth? Think of the stress alone that keeping your pets without saying anything would cause you. Plus, imagine if you got caught. You'd either end up with an unexpected, hefty, monthly fee (and I know NY apartments are not cheap to begin with), or you'd be asked to leave or get rid of the animals. None of those is a good choice, not for your or your pets.

I swear I'm not trying to lecture you, and I'll get off my high horse now, haha. :p

But look! I found useful things! (I think...)

http://www.retothemax.com/pet-friendly

http://www.peoplewithpets.com/

These are websites that help you find pet friendly apartments for rent in your area. Maybe you can start looking there. I'm optimistic and believe you will find something suited to your needs. I know I couldn't live without my pets, and I'm sure there are apartment owners who can sympathize too.

Good luck! Let us know if you find something. Sending my best wishes your way. :)

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. jkatzenfutter

jkatzenfutter New Member

Thank you for your relpy. I know lying isn't a good thing to do...and in my case, it never works out, but I just don't know what to do. I've tried both of those websites (and many more) and I've found absolutely nothing. I really don't understand how everything I've found has zero options for me (and I know for a fact that there are millions of people in new york that rent with pets!). I really think that if landlords can have pet restrictions, they should have child restrictions too! Children can potentially do equal or more damage to a house than a pet could any day...

does any one know of any pet friendly realtors in the area?? i found one, but they didn't seem like they had anything =/

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

Well.... I live on long island... and I have pets :D Lol. Where on long island are you moving to? I live out east on the south shore and I rent a little house and my landlord really didn't care at all about my geckos or anything - he more cared about my dog and 2 cats... just wanted to make sure they wouldn't be ruining his house or peeing anywhere or anything. I just assured him that I have a mature (9 yr old) dog that has NEVER gone to the bathroom inside and is very obedient and I have never had a problem with my cats.

I'd be up front and honest about it, most apartment complexes don't have a problem with pets (unless it's a pitbull or german shepard, etc) but even then I know a couple of the places by me that allow it.... PM me if you have any specific questions about an area you're moving to and chances are I have a friend who's lived in the area that knows it pretty well so I could help you out... In Suffolk County anyway....

Good luck! Let me know if you need any help!

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Cammy

Cammy ReptileBoards Addict

http://www.sublet.com/spider/leareacommons...d=&pets=Yes

http://www.sublet.com/spider/leareacommons...amp;Rentaltype=

Here's some more listings of pet friendly rentals in those areas. I don't know if you've seen this site yet or if anything there fits your needs, but I figure it can't hurt. :)

I agree with stiky, apartments are much pickier about specific dog breeds than they are about reptiles. I have a couple of friends who rent and have reptiles, and the only one who ever had trouble finding a place that would allow all of her pets was a girl who has a doberman. They never had an issue over their herps. Just be honest and upfront and I'm sure something will work out. :)

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. jkatzenfutter

jkatzenfutter New Member

thanks guys. you're making me feel a lot better!

12. lestat

lestat Moderator

I just wouldn't mention it at all to the landlord. In the past, I've asked what their policy is on fish tanks. Most places around here have no opinion on reptiles and the reaction you get depends solely on how the employee of the complex feels about reptiles. I've been living in apartments for years with reptiles. I have way more trouble finding places that will allow cats or dogs.