Help my Green tree frog

Discussion in 'Treefrogs' started by DaKing25, Aug 13, 2008.

1. DaKing25

DaKing25 New Member

Common name for species: Green Tree Frog
    Weight: decent size slightly large, Full grown
    Sex: Believe to be male

-Housing Info-

Tank size
    : Little bigger than 20 tall (Exo Terra medium tall enclosure)
    Heating method: 50 watt heat bulb
    Temperatures: 80-90 in basking to 60-70 in lower areas
    Type of thermometer: one glass mercury and one spinning round thermometer
    Lighting: 2 different UVB bulbs and one heat lamp
    Humidity level: 75-80 sometimes goes into 60

-Nutritional Info-

Food offered
    : small crickets and fruit flies
    Food eaten: readily consumes both
    Amount eaten per day: 5-6
    Supplements used and how often: every meal calcium and crickets are gut loaded

Any other details please add here:

My frog has crawled under my waterfall and was just sitting there for some time. Also he is just a brown color. Any help would be great. Thanks

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. lestat

lestat Moderator

Do you have any pics of the set up? How long has he been in this current set up at those temperatures? 90 degrees is way too hot. The cage shouldn't be above 80. The ideal day time temps are between 70 and 80. Nighttime temps can drop to 65. Frogs don't bask like lizards.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. DaKing25

DaKing25 New Member

I am moving my tree frog into a new solitary enclosure. I am getting a 10 gallon aquarium and buying an extension piece for it.

http://www.reptilesupply.com/product.php?products_id=1586

Also I wonder if you have any new ideas for cage setup like what to put it in it. I was wondering what the temperature gradients are. Thanks.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. justkev

justkev Hi :) Staff Member

we have lots of wild green trees here where i live (west coast of FL near tampa).. right now is the rainy season and most females (if yours is big its a female) are looking for water.

your temps are not that bad on the hot side.. but a little cool on the cold side. our nights are usually in the upper 70's low 80's. right now its 76.

I cant think of any reason to have UVB.. i have never in my life seen a green tree frog basking in the sun.

your humidy seems ok in general.. but there is nothign wrong with a good "rain" every now and then.. the humidity at night could be 90%

try this... go to www.weather.com and for location type in 34448 (zip code for Homosassa FL) use that as a daily guide to what a green tree frog would experience. Of course those daily highs (in the summer) wouldnt be experienced directly by a tree frog because it would be in dense cover where the temps would be much less.. and humidity higher.

but it should give you a good start for a natural temp/humidy.

a picture would be great.. did you buy this frog or catch it? I notice you say it is a juvi but full size..?

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. DaKing25

DaKing25 New Member

He still has the stripes of a juvenile but it is full size. I adopted him from an owner that was feeding him fruit and a cricket every day. He is currently with my two anoles. So hopefully I will split them up because I have a chance to get supplies to start a new tank.

I will be gone for a while but I can get a pic when I return.