Help needed for homemade enclosure for 2 dragons

Discussion in 'Enclosures, Heating & Lighting' started by Jeanies2, Sep 15, 2013.

1. Jeanies2

Jeanies2 Embryo

We want to build a big homemade enclosure for my sons 2 bearded dragons male and female that seem to enjoy each others company at the time. They were babies from different pet stores when we got them back in may and they are now 14inches long and growing fast.
    For the size of enclosure i'm thinking maybe about 3feet high by 4 feet long and 1.5-2ft wide. I want the option of adding a separator if ever needed in the future. Im thinking 2 separate glass doors or plexi glass doors that open in the front of the enclosure.
    As far as material in not sure what would be best. Wood, Pvc, Melamine or possible some other material that I don't know about? I read up on lighting, heat, humidity and if I need to separate them in the future I could put the UVB light in the center and it would still be big enough for each side to have a cool spot at opposite ends. Id like to have the lighting and heating safely secure inside the enclosure if possible. (My husband is very good with building but knows nothing about these reptiles (my 12 yo son & I take care of them.) so I need to have all my info correct when telling him what I want.
    Anyway, I'm mentally challenged when it comes to deciding and any help, suggestions, pictures would be greatly appreciated so we can get started on it. Thank you for taking your time to read this.
    I just adore my sons 2 dragons and can't wait to get them in a big, new and safe enclosure.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

Welcome to reptile boards :) Congrats on your two little beardies :)
    I would suggest looking through a couple of threads on this enclosure forum for different ideas, here's an example of a good thread.
    I would also suggest that you separate the beardies when you have the next tank because, unless you want a ton of little beardies, you need to separate them before they reach maturity.
    Here are a couple of the members beardie enclosures.
    Here is a very basic care guide so you can see what the bare minimum each beardie will need in an enclosure.
    Here's an awesome little info-gram on the best substrate choices for your beardies.

Jeanies2 likes this.