Help on incubating Chameleon eggs.

Discussion in 'Chameleons' started by dakotah, Sep 11, 2004.

1. dakotah

dakotah Embryo

I am pretty sure I have a pregnant Chameleon. She is about 9 months old and I have bred her with my male. I have read alot of different ways to incubate the eggs, but Im not sure which way is the proper way. Could someone please explain what I do after I dig the eggs up.

Thanks

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. kristasjz

kristasjz Embryo

What kind of cham?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. GeckoKing_57

GeckoKing_57 New Member

Yea, what type do you have? Cant be Jacksons, cause they have live babies. If it is Panther Chams: .7 part water to 1.0 part dry vermiculite. Icubation can last from 180 days to as long as 365 days pending on temp.. But I would go with 65 to 78 degrees. Anywhere in that range should have them hatching in about 3 to 6 months. If it is a Veiled: 1.5 part vermiculite to 1.0 part water at 80-85 degrees during the day and a drop to 74 degrees at night should hatch them out in 150 to 190 days. But then if it isnt any of these species let me know

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. dakotah

dakotah Embryo

GechoKing,
    sorry, yeh they are veiled. So do I just mix the vermiculite with water and put the eggs right into the mixture. If so, I have been told to incubate in the dark, so how would you heat them. Someone else told me to fill a container with water , set a bowl upside down in the water so it is sticking out of the water and put the eggs in something else on top of the bowl cover with glass, and then heat the water. I have been told about 10 different ways of doing this. Sorry for sounding so confused but as you can see I have been given alot of different advise.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. GeckoKing_57

GeckoKing_57 New Member

dakota, yes you need to incubate them in a dark place like your closet. You can buy incubators at any tractor supply or Harware store that sells farm equipment. This will give you your heat source. Before you place the eggs in the incubator you will need to "set" your incubator. Read the directions and will tell you how to get the right temp. check it over an hour or so to make sure your temp is steady then place the eggs in the incubator. And yes use 1cup or water to 1.5 dry cups of vermiculite mix for your eggs. push your finger down to make a recessed area for the egg to sit in. And incubate away.....

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. ChiTownCat

ChiTownCat New Member

Where can you buy vermiculite at?

12. dakotah

dakotah Embryo

You can buy it at Canadian Tire or any garden centre. Its in the section with plants, soils, and flower pot stuff. Its available all year because people use it in their indoor planting.

13. dakotah

dakotah Embryo

But do I have to keep watering the vermiculite for all those months, because wont it dry out with the heat on.

14. GeckoKing_57

GeckoKing_57 New Member

Dakota, No if you place a small bowl of water in the incubator you should be ok and just refill the water when it gets low

15. dakotah

dakotah Embryo

ok thanks alot for your help. Ill let you know what happens. Right now she is getting pretty big and you can actually see the shape of the eggs inside her, I think she should lay this week.

16. dakotah

dakotah Embryo

ok, I have now got 49 little eggs incubating, One quick question again, if you dont mind, In my paperwork on breeding it says, you can see the blood vessels in the eggs. I cant see them but I can for sure see the yolk, Maybe Im not doing it right. Or maybe they are they not visible at first. They are white eggs not yellow and it says usually fertile eggs will be white and non fertile yellow. So Im not sure what I have but I am incubating anyway. Is there another way of telling maybe? Thanks for any replys

17. chamdudeqaz

chamdudeqaz Embryo

if you have an incubator you must keep it at lets say 80 degrees all the time right like at night it is the same right you only let it go from 80 to 74 at nigh if you dont have a real incubator right. i have an ioncubator and are going to be breeding veiled chameleon eggs and have a set temp. of 83 i am going to keep it like this all the time even at night. this is the right thing to do rite.

18. dakotah

dakotah Embryo

According to all the literature I have read, I have set my thermostate at 79 degrees. Everything I have read says, between 75-80 is the right temp. I leave it there day and night. Today my eggs are l00 days old, and all appear to be thriving. This is only my first attempt at breeding so I am just learning like you. i think the key is to read alot from different sources and then decide how to proceed. So far I havent had any problems.

19. dakotah

dakotah Embryo

I know have eggs hatching from my homemade incubator. Healthy little guys from the way their running around. Now I have to figure out how to get them to eat the pin heads. They seem a little afraid of them. Any suggestions.

20. meow_mix450

meow_mix450 New Member

i have 2 clutchs of eggs for my panther chameleon. One is in the incubator and one is in the cloest. The one that is in my cloest is doing a lot better then the ones in the incubator with no problems. The ones in the incubator is a month late and have may have died of dehydration. But the rest are fine. High temps can be bad. So i suggest putting them in your cloest instead of an incubator

Meow

21. kk

kk New Member

do you free rome feed or do you feed from a cup? they are probably more likly to eat out of the cup or at least that is how my little one eats best. good luck with the babies!

22. dakotah

dakotah Embryo

I hatched all 43 babies from an incubator on time and have not lost one. They were set at 79 degrees constant. A few needed help hatching when the egg started to shrival but was not open. Those babies are doing fine also. I free feed, I figure that way they all learn how to hunt. They are now nearing four weeks old and very healthy. My female is also ready to lay another batch this week. I will probably incubate the same way only this time they will be going through a summer so I probably dont need the heat this time.

23. meow_mix450

meow_mix450 New Member

I would suggest free ranging your crickets. If you keep cup feeding it would end up with a lazy tongue. Which means it will not be able to use its tongue

Meow