Help!! rainbow boa not feeding

Discussion in 'Boas' started by medusa, Jan 20, 2004.

1. medusa

medusa New Member

we have a paraguayan rainbow boa, a youngster, had him just over a week and havent got him to feed yet. He appears interested in the food - he looks at it and seems ready to strike, but then he seems to just forget what he's doing and slinks off to sleep. He's about 4 months old and hasnt eaten for 2 weeks. Any advice would be welcome.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

Don't worry about it, most reptiles will take at least a week or two to settle in.

Just let him get settled, and try again in a week or so.

Going even 3 or 4 weeks without food isn't going to both an otherwise healthy juvenile.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. BoaMan

BoaMan New Member

Recheck your temps. Make sure the cage gets no hotter than 85 on the hot side. Make sure your humidity is good, at 65% or better, more is better. Make sure that cold winter nights aren't affecting him. A night drop lower than 75 is not good. My Brazilian rainbow never misses meals. Could he be in shed? Lots of snakes don't eat in shed. 2 weeks isn't a worry, heck 2 months isn't life threatening either. Just make sure that heat and humidity aren't the cause and your snake should be eating soon.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. medusa

medusa New Member

thanks for all the replies.. yes, we've looked at the temp/humidity and it seems about right. He's also shed now - the difference in his appearance is striking so we'll know the signs next time. Might try him again now he's done shedding. He's gorgeous!

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. medusa

medusa New Member

I am pleased to report he just fed. never seen anything as fast as the way he struck at it and was coiled round it in a flash. very impressive! Thanks again for the tips.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

That's great to hear!

12. BoaMan

BoaMan New Member

Good to hear. Next time he's in shed, just wait to feed when he's done.

13. biggsxr

biggsxr Embryo

Im glad your boa finally fed. and i hear from alot of people i know that have snakes about problems with feeding during during shed. but i have to say i have never had a problem unless their eyes are in the "blue " stage. This is however only with my largest boa and my rat snake. i have yet to feed my small boa when in shed.