[HELP]Shed Left on toes, 1 toe nail already gone!!

Discussion in 'Leopard Geckos' started by adam859, Nov 6, 2008.

1. adam859

adam859 New Member

Ok so my gecko decided not to go in her humid hide at the point of shedding, i placed it in yesturday and it removed alot of it, but theres some left on her toes, some toes have alot on others have a few flakes, i have e;ft the humid hide in there and shes always in there, ive tried for 2 days now, soaking her in some shallow warm water and using cotton buds to gently remove the skin, i removed tiny amounts, noothing that would dramaticlly help, she gets all upset when i touch her feet, she always moves her feet when i do.

I need suggestions and fast!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. TNguy08

TNguy08 New Member

mine did that once..and i had to just really hold her and pull it off her toes... It was on there for a good few too many days and was really loose and I soaked her then just put her feet/toes in between my thumb and forefinger and slightly pinched them together then pulled away.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. MimC

MimC Moderator

Mine dont appreiate me touching their toes either - but sometimes you need to :) I would soak her in warm water so its nice and soft - then let her walk through your hands and roll her toes between your thumb and finger, this will help work some of it loose...if you need to you can hold her still and pull the rest off - do this gently, and in small sessions so as not to stress her too much

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. DinoDrawer

DinoDrawer New Member

Line a big plastic container with warm, wet paper towels and let her just sit in there for half an hour. That should loosen up the skin so that it will be easier for you to peel off.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. LittleLouie

LittleLouie Well-Known Member

I would do as a lot of the others have suggested;

Give her a longer warm soak

Wrap her up in a small dry wash cloth. When my guys need care and won't hold still for it, putting a wash cloth over their head and around whatever part of their body is not being treated and then holding them gently but firmly seems to help make them hold still for treatment. I am not saying that they will be still; just that they are not able to wiggle as much, and that it is easier to treat them.

When I was getting sticky off of Boo's feet, I coated them in mineral oil, and then gently squeezed her leg. As she pulled her leg away, she was pulling it through my fingers. In this way, we worked the sticky off her legs and toes. I know shed removal is much different than sticky removal, but possibly a good warm water soak and the same rubbing procedure would work. You could even focus on the toes that need the most work.

Some other holding methods that might help are to hold him with both back legs extended out towards his tail so that he can not bend them up and grip your hand and try to run. You will mostly be holding him from his chest just below his front legs to just below where his back hips start; however, you will also need to have a finger wrapped around his back feet at the knees and that part of the tail. You will not be holding him with that finger; just keeping those back legs in place so that you can work on his feet without him flailing around and making it impossible.

Another gecko hold I have used is to hold the leo upside down, with his back against my palm, his head against my first finger, my thumb holding him under his chin, my second finger wrapping around and holding his belly just below the front legs, third finger is holding his middle, and my little finger is holding his middle just above his back legs. If he gets traction with his back legs, he can wiggle loose. However, it seems to work better than some other ways I've tried to hold them.

Just to let you know, the leos do NOT LIKE being held this way. I only do it on rare occasions when it NEEDS to be done.

What works best is usually the washcloth method. Once their head is covered and they are held securely, they usually will hold still and take whatever doctoring it is that you are trying to give.

ha ha, it kind of looks like I got off topic. Anyhow, after you get your leo to hold still . . . try rubbing the thoroughly soaked skin between your fingers, and keep at it. If you can find any loose edges, maybe you can get ahold of them and see if you can work them loose. Maybe gently rubbing down towards the end of the foot over and over again, you can get the skin to start rolling off his feet.