HELP...what do I do?

Discussion in 'Treefrogs' started by stina3246, Aug 3, 2007.

1. stina3246

stina3246 Member

This is the second time that a frog has layed eggs in my horses water trough. I had NO idea they were there until they hatched. They did a GREAT job of keeping the mosquito larve away and they pose no threat to my horse so I left them. Unfortunately it was very hot and one day the horse drank nearly the whole trough. This is a HUGE trough, maybe 200 gallons. I refilled it right away but I think the fresh water killed all the tadpoles. I was so sad about it but now there are more! I’ve been real careful to keep the trough filled so I am only adding a little bit of water at a time but the water is starting to get nasty. I usually change the water every 2-3 days but I don’t want to hurt the tadpoles so it has not been changed, only filled for about 1 1/2 weeks. They seem to have plenty to eat, aside from the mosquitoes my horse is kind enough to drop bits of hay and grain into the water for them I’ve noticed that some are getting real big but there are still a lot of tiny ones. None of them have grown anything that looks like legs yet. How long do I have to leave them in there to be safe or should they be removed.
    I put a little floaty thing in there so when they need to crawl out they can.....what else can I do? Once they have legs....then what? Where should I put them, there are NO ponds or even marshes around here. Just my horses troughs. I think they are grren tree frogs, that's the only type I've seen around here.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. anoleboy2

anoleboy2 Member

That's interesting, do you have any creeks nearby? Even if you don't they would probably be ok or they wouldn't live in your area.