Help with a quale????

Discussion in 'General Discussion and Introductions' started by wideglide, Sep 19, 2005.

1. wideglide

wideglide Well-Known Member

Definitely not a reptile issue but I thought if maybe someone knew more about this than I do they could help.

Outside of where I work this morning there was what looked like a quale in the bushes. I approached and instead of flying it took off running into another, bigger spot of bushes and seems to just be hanging out.

I'm wondering if that's normal behavior that one would not fly and instead walk. I don't see anything wrong with the wings or any other obvious physical problem but I've never seen this guy around here before and I want to make sure it doesn't need some help or something.

Anyone have any thoughts on this or where I can go to get some more info?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. MegannLizzy

MegannLizzy New Member

maybe capture and bring to a local vet that would help him and then let him fly away...ive helped a bird recover before his wing didnt look broken but was i kept him in a cage for a few weeks and when he started to fly around the cage i let him go,, and he flew away...

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. wideglide

The thing is I don't want to capture him if he's just got a nest over there. I need to know for sure what I'm doing is the right thing.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Janice

Janice ReptileBoards Addict

Are you talking about a QUAIL?? The game bird? You can see them trotting through the woods on occasion, more often than you would see them flying in the sky.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. KAOSRacing

KAOSRacing Member

I'm assuming you're talking about a quail (game bird). If so, I believe they are one of the species of birds that will fake an injury to draw a threat away from their nest. Do you have any wild animal rescue organizations in your area? If so you may want to contact them with questions.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. wideglide

That's what maybe I was thinking. The bird looked very healthy. It's gone now so I guess if it did have a problem there's nothing I can do about it. Really I think it was fine but wanted to be sure. Thansk for that info! :(

PS - I was in a pretty big hurry when I posted that. Sorry for the spelling konfuzion.

12. Janice

Janice ReptileBoards Addict

:( we figured it out...