Help With Anole Setup

Discussion in 'Anoles' started by MnJH, Aug 15, 2009.

1. MnJH

MnJH Embryo

We have just got an Anole, after being sold it and it being called a baby dragon & being given AWFUL information about it.
    When we looked on the internet we found out he is an Anole. We believe he is a green anole.

So now we need to change his whole setup, since we know what he is in now is not right for him.

Please could we get a list of things they need tank setup wise including temps humidity substrate etc & the ideal feeding amounts & how often he should be fed, different things he can be fed, he has eaten small crickets so far.

We do now understand not to listen to sales persons when they sell you something that sounds to good to be true, & we are wanting to fix his setup ASAP.

Thank You for your help

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. 00luke00

00luke00 Well-Known Member

Hello, sorry for the late response. I will be able to answer all of your questions, just give me a couple of hours then i'll be off work and be able to help.

Welcome to the forums!

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. 00luke00

00luke00 Well-Known Member

An enclosure run-down would be helpful, so include the tank size, substrate, heating method, temperatures, what you're measuring the temperatures with, humidity levels, amount of coverage, etc.

Also include what feeder you're offering, how many at each feeding, and also how often do you feed your anoles.

With this information we can rectify any problems with the setup.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. MnJH

MnJH Embryo

Well he was in a very very very small cricket keeper type tank when we got him.

He now has a 10 gallon tank with a metal mesh lid.
    He has small stone gravel on his tank floor.
    2 little live plants (which he seems to love)
    Heating methods we are unsure of, he is in the warmest part of the house at the moment, we live in a very small town, so its mainly internet shopping for his supplies so any good company's to deal with for items or url links (if they are allowed) would be more than welcomed.

He is on small crickets, they are about the distance between his eyes in size.
    We were told he could have any size, but after reading the bearded dragon forum i saw what they advised for sizes for those, so i went with that size for him until i heard otherwise.
    He has 3 a day and is fed every other day.

No temp or humidity checker, any info on good places to get one would be great.

He is the only one in the 10 gallon tank.

I do understand his living standards are not as they should be, & that is why I'm here asking for help.
    I just want him to have a happy healthy life, if we had been told everything he needed when we got him he have had it all before we got him and had it set up to monitor & check everything was perfect before he came home.
    We were told he could live in the cricket keeper for life, and that he could eat crickets as big as his head, and he didn't need lights or anything like that.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Louie

Louie Member

----------
    Anoles need heat from ABOVE not under tank heaters they love to climb and need to climb. Plants, branches ,etc. A day basking light directed in one side of your tank that keeps temps at about 90-95 on one direct spot is great and night air temp of 78 to 89 is fine .
    of course place the light dome on top of screen .
    You can use a day UV basking and light bulb for day which your plants will also love for light and smaller watt bulb (black)for night or no bulb at all at night if room is warm enough.

I had green anole as a kid and here (Florida) have them in my yard , Mist him at min once a day or best twice(actually mist the plants) anoles only drink drops of water not from a bowl.

Overall with heat and misting they do great . A 10 gallon is fine for one or a pair but no more than that . If down the line you opt for a 20 gallon extra high so much the better . 2 males will kill each other just in case you have a male and opt to get another.

I am assuming you have green anole. If you have brown anole its same thing though they get bigger and will use under tank heat as unlike green anoles they will use bottom of the tank also.

I buy my stuff from herpsupplies.com and/or www.drsfostersmith.com
    Green anoles if given the choice will stay on top as much more arboreal.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. UpstateNYPets

UpstateNYPets Embryo

The 10 gallon tank for 1 Anole will be fine, the screen top is also okay. Change out the small stone gravel as it may cause an impaction threat if accidentally ingested. Coco fiber bedding, reptile carpets, and similar substrates can be used. I use coco fiber and they seem to do fine on it. It also holds the humidity nicely. The live plants are good, but add some more. They like lots of vines, plants, and branches for the ultimate arboreal experience. As for heating, you will need both a UVB source and a Basking Light. A ReptiSun 5.0 tube light and fixture that runs the whole length of the cage is best. Your live plants will also benefit from this. For heating, you can get a dome fixture and a regular household bulb 60-75w to produce heat. Place a branch a few inches under the light and get a digital thermometer to measure what the temp is. Temp directly under the basking light should not be higher than 90F but no less than 85F. The rest of the tank does not need to be heated if it stays between 75-80F. They prefer to bask, so only use the light fixtures, not under tank heaters. When you pick out a thermometer, make sure you get a digital thermometer with a probe. The probe should be somehow fixed to the basking areas to always monitor the temperatures. (I tape mine to the branch) Make sure the probe is where the Anoles belly would lay. Stick on thermometers can be up to 20F off so stick with a digital thermometor or get a quality temp gun. Night time temperatures should not drop below 65F and most house hold temperatures are higher than this, so night heating may not be necessary depending on your home. If night time heat is needed, you can use a ceramic heat emitter. Crickets are fine for feeding. You can also try mealworms, wax worms, and other small soft bodied worms/insects. (Mine LOVE houseflies, they eat them like chocolate, haha). Any insect should be dusted with a calcium and multi-vitamin powder at least 3x week. Feed him as much as he will eat, every other day, or every two days.

For a great website for supplies (which I use myself) - http://www.LLLreptile.com and http://www.petmountain.com

Really sorry that you were told all the wrong information. Unfortunately, pet stores don't seem to care about who they hire. Most employees don't know anything about the animals they are selling or what really is needed to care for them properly. You did the right thing by coming to this forum and talking to experienced owners. That's the best way to get acccurate information!