help with another lizard

Discussion in 'Anoles' started by Heather(Ryoko), Jan 4, 2003.

1. Heather(Ryoko)

Heather(Ryoko) Embryo

ok Can I put a small long tail lizard in my brown anole tank? or is it not so good. I have lots of plants & sticks & a rock. A good heat lamp & I mist water in the tank every day. I want to get a small long tail lizard to put in it but will my anoles like that.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. natashaccollins

natashaccollins Member

Hi, I don't think that it is a good idea to put different breeds of reptiles together. a lot of them don't get along. the best way to find out would be to ask your local reptile pet shop :)

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. reptile.breeder

reptile.breeder New Member

i dont mean to be rude natashacollins but pet shop owners dont know to much about reptiles coz they have so many pets its inpossible to know lots about all of them and i also think its fine putting two differnt species together as long as there the same size because mine are fine and ive got 6 differnt species of anoles and 3 geckos in one big viv together and there fine try it if they fight dont try it again

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

Size isn't the only factor in putting two different species together.

For example, there's no way you could house a Chinese Water Dragon & a Bearded Dragon together no matter how closely matched their size was.

The humidity requirements of a CWD would cause SEVERE health problems to a beardy.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. nathanjburt

nathanjburt New Member

reptile.breeder I don't mean to be rude when I say this but if Tasha thinks going to a pet shop (that knows about reptiles) may help then Tasha must know what she is talking about. If a sells reptiles then they have to know everything about the reptiles that they sell. I disagree whith it. A lot of reptiles don't get along together. It is only a good idea when it is known that they will not fight.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. natashaccollins

natashaccollins Member

Nathan, love don't be rude, reptile.breeder is allowed to have his own say and if he feels I am wrong that is OK. The last thing I want is to be removed from the rooms as I am getting along well and learning lots.

I understand where you are coming from reptile.breeder, I was only saying what I had been told to do. I do not know where you are from but I am from the UK and going to a shop that knows about reptiles or asking my local herp is what I was told I should do :( I do agree that reptiles can be mixed, but I feel it is best to find out first as some anoles can be territorial.

Nathan, I now know why you log off when I log on. As we are using the same dial up, only one of us can use it at a time. That is why we are always beeing kicked off!!!

[Edited on 20/2/2003 by natashaccollins]

12. reptile.breeder

axe we was talking about anoles and long tailed not wds and bds mate
    but you still have a point but i was on a smaller scale of things

13. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

For those two species specifically, as long as they require similar conditions, then it's possible, providing there's plenty of space and plenty of hiding spots. Remember in the wild that an adult male cuban brown anole wants at least 25 cubic ft of territory (a 5' cube), so having another territorial male in there of any species could cause problems.

14. reptile.breeder

i didnt know you can get a cuban brown anole have you got any pics

15. reptile.breeder

nathanjburt it sounds to me like you know nothing about reptiles and the real life if you belive every thing your pet shop tells you they want you money and im sure if you wnet down there every week there start getting annoyed with all your qs but over the net there are so many opinans that you can take your choice on what you think is logic so stop jumping to natashas defence with an argument that aint even worth me writting all this ok MATEA

16. natashaccollins

natashaccollins Member

Reptile.breeder, Nathan knows what I know about reptiles (maybe I know a bit more), as I have taken an animal care course and reptile management/husbandry and have told him what he needs to know. So I do know a lot, not everything I admit but enough for now :(

[Edited on 21/2/2003 by natashaccollins]

17. reptile.breeder

k sorry natasha i didnt mean to offend you maybe we can talk on msn so i can say sorry personaly to you

18. hobotramp

hobotramp Member

Hey reptile.breeder. If you want to see pictures of Cuban Brown Anoles just check out my pics in the image gallery. Go to member gallery... hobotramp... and just click on any of Anode, Booly, Cathode or Hobo. Booly and Cathode are the two males.

19. stormyva

stormyva Well-Known Member

Hmmmm.... this thread was heading for a debate real quick :( So I HAVE to throw in my two cents :) :)
    As far as two lizards in the same enclosure..... it can be done..... BUT only if the lizards have similar requirements and have had a quarantine period prior to introducing them together. Like Axe said a Beardie and a Water Dragon wont mix.... one likes cool and humid the other dry and hot. An anole in with a long tail lizard may be ok. Here is one for a debate :).... We have a Horned Mntn Dragon that would not eat so we went back to the pet store where we got her and talked to the owner. They had the same problem with her and found that when they put a regular Carolina Anole in with her that she started to eat and move around the cage more. We brought that little anole home, the same one that was in her cage at the shop, put it in her cage, and sure enough she started eating the very next day. Her personality change was night and day just by adding that little anole.
    As for the pet store.... that is a good one.... as reptile.breeder said most shops have employees that dont care or have too many different species to know a lot about any one particular species of animal. There are exceptions though. I've been to shops around here that have sold water dragons and iguanas with a 10 gallon glass aquarium and a heat rock to 14 year olds as pets. Ball Pythons with a plastic critter keeper and a heat rock. You name it... you need to be responsible and do your research, you can't always depend on the pet store employee to know anything.

Well that was my .02 :D Thanks for listening :D