help with Children's Pythons

Discussion in 'Other Pythons' started by cougardude, Mar 6, 2004.

1. cougardude

cougardude Embryo

I been looking in to it might get one not sure yet. i cant find a care sheet or anything any where can anyone help please nes to know the size of it housing substraight stuff like that thanx

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. stormyva

stormyva Well-Known Member

Childrens and Spotted Pythons are great starter snakes.
    Both will max out in the 3 to 4' range and are very docile. When buying one make sure you get a captive bred snake that is well established. The anatresia pythons can be a little picky about what they eat as babies which means they can be difficult to start off. Once started they are great eaters though.
    Caging is easy.... a 20 gallon tank will give a good size home for most of the snakes life. Temps during the day should be around 85-87 on the hot side and 80 on the cool side. Humidty levels in the mid 50's will give you a perfect shed every time. They are somewhat shy snakes so plenty of hides are needed. All in all they are great little snakes!

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. cougardude

cougardude Embryo

cool thanks for the info i might get on not 100% sure yet i already have 1 ball python 2 corns and 4 leopard geckos

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

I wrote a caresheet for a friend's website if you want to check it out. Children's are great snakes, my favorites by far! The website is www.snakeplanet.com. The caresheet is under Pythons. One thing I would add to stormy's info is that they love to climb so climbing branches are always welcome. Sounds likeyou got your hands full already! lol But Children's are really low maintenance and very docile.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. cougardude

cougardude Embryo

biochic it said it can not find the web site

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. biochic

Sorry about that. Looks like he took it down for some reason. I'll post the care sheet here so you can read it.

12. biochic

Sorry it's long for a post, I probably should PM it to you but I wasn't sure if anyone else wanted to read it. Hopefully there aren't any typos! lol!

Basic Facts

Children’s Pythons are the second smallest python in the world (second to the Ant Hill Python). Named for naturalist John Children, they are native to Northwestern Australia. Their average adult length is 3 feet. When they are young, Chidren’s Pythons are generally reddish-brown with dark brown patches or spots. As they age, these patterns fade resulting in a mostly dark brown to black snake with many older snakes showing no pattern at all. They may be found listed under the name Liasis childreni or Antaresia childreni. In most recent literature, they are grouped within the genus Liasis. Children’s Pythons are closely related to and strongly resemble Spotted Pythons, Antaresia maculosa and the Blotched Python, Antaresia stimsoni. In many cases, captive Chidren’s Pythons and Spotted Pythons have been misidentified and are sold under the wrong name. This makes it difficult to determine whether or not offspring are pure crosses. In the wild, these pythons are known to eat birds, lizards, and occasionally hang from the mouths of caves in order to catch bats in flight.

Recommended Enclosures

Due to their compact size and docile nature, Children’s Pythons do not require large enclosures. A single adult python may be housed comfortably in a 10-gal aquarium, but I always encourage a slightly larger cage than necessary to make room for climbing and moving in general. These snakes can climb well and adding a couple of climbing branches to any enclosure is a good idea. Also make sure the snake has room to stretch out within the enclosure. Sedentary snakes, especially those that do not take large enough food items, may be prone to bowel impactions and cloacal infections. This doesn’t mean your snake should be moving constantly. This means that the enclosure should be large enough not to impede the movement of the snake. For substrate, I use smooth, non-painted aquarium gravel. You may also use newspaper or reptile bark. Also provide a hiding space large enough for your snake to fit completely under. They use this space for hiding from stressful surroundings and also as a retreat from heat lamps. A water bowl large enough for the entire snake to fit into is also necessary not only as a drinking water source but also to aid shedding and increase humidity. A secure latching or locking cage lid is necessary. I prefer the fitted screened enclosure lids where the wire is plastic-coated.

Lighting and Heating

A heat lamp with a simple 75-watt bulb can be sat on top of the lid (as long as the lid is heat resistant – metal frames are best). It is not necessary to use a broad-spectrum bulb but they can be used in place of an incandescent. If necessary at night, a blue or black reptile ‘night’ light can be used to supplement heat. The temperature of the enclosure should be between 75 and 85 degrees Fahrenheit during the day and about 10 degrees less at night. There are a variety of different cage thermometers available and regulating and monitoring the temperature in any enclosure is a good idea. Children’s Pythons come from a fairly humid climate and require a high humidity to shed properly. It is recommended that you mist the enclosure with warm water occasionally in between sheds.

Feeding

Due to their size, Children’s Pythons take fairly small food items. They tend to grow in length faster than they grow in girth, so it can be hard to determine when and what to feed. A good rule of thumb is to offer no food item that is larger than the largest part of the snake. Items that are too large will cause the snake to regurgitate the food. Hatchlings or juveniles under one foot in length may be fed pink mice (pinkies) or fuzzy mice (young mice whose eyes are not yet open) on a one per week schedule. Many hatchlings can be picky eaters and may refuse to eat at first. If a hatchling refuses a live pinkie, offer it freshly killed. If this is refused, offer frozen/thawed. If this is refused it may be necessary to scent the food item using a live lizard or to expose the tissue and blood of the mouse prior to offering it. Force-feeding should be done only as a last resort. Using force-feeding to start any snake feeding stresses the animal and can cause them to become afraid of food items, resulting in a lifetime of force-feeding. Adult pythons, from 2-3 feet can be fed small to medium sized mice. They may take 2-3 at a time and should feed once every 3-4 weeks. My preference is freshly killed mice, but if you don’t like the idea of killing the mice yourself, frozen/thawed works just as well. I do not promote live feeding since many captive snakes do not correlate live animals with food and may kill the mouse but not know to eat it. Others may not kill the prey at all and not eat, and in some of the worst cases I’ve seen, the mouse has bitten the snake causing sever infection.

13. biochic

A little disclaimer: This care sheet by no means represents the "only" way to keep Children's Python. It is based on my experience from working with them in a zoo environment and in our own collection. I would like to add that aspen shavings can also be used as substrate and under tank heaters are also good to use for a heat source. Also, the feeding 'schedule' is just a sample, it's just a template to guide new owners. Good luck!

14. cougardude

cougardude Embryo

cool thanx i think im going to get one soon to add to my colection