Help with choice of Snake...

Discussion in 'General Snakes' started by typeflow, May 5, 2006.

1. typeflow

typeflow New Member

im planning on getting a kingsnake. i was just wondering which breed of kingsnake tend to be the largest when full grown.

im saying this because i like pythons and boas, but am afraid they might get too big for me to handle. therefore i figure i get a kingsnake due to the fact most at 24-40 inches max?

or if not king snakes which breed of python/boas are the smallest when full grown.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Janice

Janice ReptileBoards Addict

Welcome to Reptile Rooms! Ball Pythons are actually a very nice size for a snake! The max out at about 4.5 feet. Children's Pythons are smaller than that. Then there are Rosy boas, and sand boas, small as well. I don't keep kingsnakes, myself, so I really don't know how big they get. If they are comparable in size to a cornsnake, I have one corn snake that is longer than any of my 3 ball pythons. Length isn't the only question, girth is also in question. A kinksnake or cornsnake isn't as thick as a ball python.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. typeflow

typeflow New Member

yes. i fogot to mention the thicker the better. so thanks janice i will look into those pythons and see which i can provide a proper accomadation to.

so if anyone have further kingsnake recommendations, please let me know.

thanks

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Janice

Janice ReptileBoards Addict

Well, if you want a thicker snake, go with a ball python. Start off with a baby from a breeder that is eating properly, this is the best route to go. Stay away from petstore balls, as they could be wild caught. Females will get a bit bigger than males, lengthier and girthier.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. reako45

reako45 Member

Stick with the colubrids. If you're going for size and beauty, go w/ a nice hypo L.g. Floridana. They're big Florida Kings formerly brooksi Kings. They get big and thick, and they're a beautiful vivd yellow. Still as big or bigger is "The King of Kings", the Eastern or Chain King. I've heard of Floridas and Easterns getting over 6'. Some good 4' Kings are Splendidas (desert kings), holbrookis (Speckled Kings--- I've got an '05 and he's a cool little live wire), Mexican Black Kings ( want one) and of course, Cal Kings (got 1 of those too).
    Smaller are your Mountain Kings and your Variable Kings (Lampropeltis mexicana--- most beautiful of all kings). I think they average at or under 3' and can be housed in a 10-15gal tank for the duration of their lives.
    I'm really into snakes of the genus Lampropeltis, and also of the genus Pituophis... but that is a subject for another post. Let us know what you select, and where you're buying from. For MBKs & Cal's, there's nne better than www.renegadereptiles.com. LOL!

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. themowingmonk

themowingmonk Member

i think he is looking for shorter snakes, not big ones. i would recommend the ball python, i don't have one yet but I'm getting one very soon. or if you want even smaller then that i would recommend a Kenyan sand boa. a male will be around 16inches and the females can make it up around 24inches. they're great snake that are pretty with the vivid orange and black with excellent temperaments.

12. VtMiPgYeRr

VtMiPgYeRr Member

Im not sure if it has been said but kingsnakes can get up to 5ft. normally 4ft but they arent thick around. They are similar to corn snakes in body size if you have seen those.

SnakeFeeler, you have a new snake? Last you told me your first and only BP had passed on. What sort of snake is this 100" one?

13. Skunky

Skunky Well-Known Member

If you're looking for a small, easily-handled snake..I'd definitely advise going for a ball python, childrens python, or spotted python. Sand Boas and Rosy boas are also good first snakes.

14. typeflow

typeflow New Member

i had a grey banded for a while but wouldnt feed so i took him back to petland.

im still wondering where to buy more importantly than what to buy. a reputable dealer hopefully. im kind of leaning towards a kingsnake that i will keep in my 20 gallon for a while. maybe move on to a 55 gallon later on.

thanks for the info guys

15. reako45

reako45 Member

Grey Bandeds are primarily lizard eaters, and can be a real pain in the backside trying to switch to rodents. I don't know where you're located, but out here on the west coast the guys @ Renegade Reptiles are highly spoken of in Kingsnake circles. Check the classifieds @ www.kingsnake.com. There are plenty of king breeders there.

reako45

16. willythegame16

willythegame16 Member

a dot dash cali for me does it they are really good looking and amazing feeders

17. typeflow

typeflow New Member

i wouldnt mind investing in grey banded again, does anyone know of any dealers that sell lizards as feeders?

18. themowingmonk

themowingmonk Member

the house geckos and anoles at petco are pretty much feeder quality. but if you shop around online some places will sell them in bulk for cheaper.

19. Daggerlover

Daggerlover Well-Known Member

20. thepogona

thepogona Member

I agree with Dagger, lllreptile, depending with state you reside in, has the best prices around. Great cust. service and all of their prices include shipping.

21. joeking

joeking New Member

I also have a dot dash cali and I love him. He's been so easy to feed and take care of. He gets a bit bity when you handle him when he doesn't want to but the bites don't usually hurt. And apparently they make good starter snakes because they are as tough as nails and can live through anything but of course you should take care of him properly.