Help with saharan uromastyx

Discussion in 'Uromastyx' started by spoonbig21, Jan 3, 2007.

1. spoonbig21

spoonbig21 Embryo

I work at a pet store and adopted a uromastyx that is very thin because he will only eat for me. I have a lot of reptiles so it is not my first. I did some research before I took him home but he is now not eating very well and sleeping all the time. When he does wake up it is for a few seconds to walk alittle and then lay back down and sleep again.
    [​IMG]
    that is his current cage. I have a 100 watt daylight bulb with the long UVA/UVB bulb. What should I change/get?
    This is him
    [​IMG]

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. beezneez

beezneez Member

= quite skinny indeed. For now while he is sick I would change his substrate to something like papertowels. I dont know much about uros, but thats what i would reccomend till he is better.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. KimbeeJ

KimbeeJ New Member

My baby didn't eat well and was kind of thin and shriveled looking when I got him, too. I make sure I put his salad fixings in a food processor and finely chop them, then spritz with water for extra moisture and put them on the cool end of his cage. His temps are 120 at the basking end and around 80ish on the cool end of his 20G long. He has a hide on either end. It took him a couple of weeks to adjust. They seem to be a little skittish.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. UroTamer

UroTamer Embryo

Oh my gosh, it's a flashback to when I bought/rescued 2 of mine from a pet store!!!

Look for the post I made under eating insects....it is easier than repeating the information.
    It was vet recommended and it worked great!!!

Kenn / UroTamer

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. aaron157

aaron157 Member

try feeding him dusted crickets, as being a baby it shouldn't hurt him and should help get some of that weight back until he can eat greens on his own again.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. jayhay

jayhay Well-Known Member

I disagree with the insects. A uro’s main diet is veggies, not insects. Feeding him crickets is not going to give him the nutrients he needs and I doubt that his poor little body can handle the protein overload right now (they are not build to process the protein, and a uro in such a compromised state should not have to do so). Insects can be offered as a treat to healthy uros, but even then it is debatable.

First, you need to get him in a more suitable tank. He needs more hides - he is very stressed right now and needs lots of places to hide away and recuperate. A minimum of one warm hide and one cool hide are needed. Second, what are your temps? In a tank that small, I doubt you can reach 120 on the hot side without cooking the cool side (which needs to be in the 80s) If you are not reaching these temps (as measured with a digital thermometer with a probe) them you will need a bigger tank ASAP. Also, you really should cover 3 sides of the tank with brown paper or something to help him feel secure. And, as it has been mentioned, get him off the sand right now. Baby uros really should be on a solid substrate and this is especially true when they are so ill as yours is.

Diet is the most important thing right now. Check out the list of veggies suggested at www.deerfernfarms.com. Offer him a fresh salad consisting of bok choy, curly endive, mustard greens every day and add other veggies to mix it up from day to day. If he won't eat the salad, buy some frozen peas and mash them up with some vitamins or "da good stuff" (available at www.cricketfood.com). They loves peas and this trick often gets them eating again. Once he starts eating the peas, start putting them on the salad and he should start eating that too.

Keep in mind that this guy is quite possibly wild caught and therefore riddled with parasites. WC Uros are easily stressed and it can be a long and difficult process. Proper vet care and treatment is often needed. Call around, find a good herp vet in your area with experience with uros and send in a fecal sample. Give the little guy a few days to settle in and try to get him eating and then get him in to the vet right away.

Good luck with him!

12. spoonbig21

spoonbig21 Embryo

UPDATE!!

My uromastyx is doing much better and eating by himself and is nice and fat now. I just wanted to let everyone know he is doing really well now.

13. aaron157

aaron157 Member

RE: UPDATE!!

thats good to hear, I just rescued a juvie uro from a pet store. He was dehydrated and malnourished but is doing good now, he should pull through.

14. maggie0202

maggie0202 New Member

hi there could anyone recomend way substrate to use my uro rocky is trixie fine reptile desert sand at the moment he use to be on a calcium sand but got an impaction from that and vet said to change the sand to a finer one but yet once again hes got an apt with the vet on wend as hes now showing the same signs as he did before with the 1st impaction please can someone give me some advice to this matter thanks

15. naykid

naykid Member

Do You still need adv. on your substrate?

16. mr_andrew

mr_andrew Member

Ceramic/Slate tiles work well. They keep the heat in. Millet also works.

17. naykid

naykid Member

SANY0752.JPG Millet is what i use in my 300. The nice thing is it gets nice and hot with the basking light, and its easy to sift the poop & scatterd veg out with a litter scoop.(always clean)

18. mr_andrew

mr_andrew Member

Man that is a palace for the little guy!

What kind of uro is it?

19. naykid

naykid Member

Maili Uro I have 5, I got them from doug @ deer fern farms. I plan to breed in 3yrs. For now i'm breeding leopard geckos.

20. naykid

naykid Member

IMG_0024.JPG

21. mr_andrew

mr_andrew Member

Awesome! haha I love these guys... so much character!