helppp!!

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by crusty, Apr 13, 2009.

1. crusty

crusty New Member

1please anybody help!, my 2 years old wd's been unwell for about 4 days, took him to the vet 3 days ago, told me he was impacted, gave a shot of antibiotics as the cloacal was protruded. sent me to give him water and a bit of food to push whatever was inside down. his back legs are a bit lifeless, and have difficulty walking, tends to try and lift his hips to walk, which make me think that the friction between the cloacal and the ground is hurting, however took him to other vet today and he reckons my wd may have spinal cord injury due to calcium deficiency, which causes constipation, in which case the vet reckons is not much to do. he massaged his tummy and managed to drop a few poo, and the gave him paraffin, told me this time not to give food for two days and not water for today. the day has passsed and he seems even more lethargic, and running away from his heat source. cant just sit around seing him worst, massaged his tummy from time to time, dont know what else to do. rang the vet again in emergency hours suggesting enema, he was a bit upset for me calling too much, please anyone, any suggestion? :unsure:

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Darklightangel013

Darklightangel013 New Member

How is your dragon doing?

My only suggestion I can give you is, if you are not satisfied with the results from your vet, you may want to get a second opinion from another vet. I don't know what they could do for your water dragon, but a second opinion would help. Perhaps some kind of surgery might be able to help.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. MimC

MimC Moderator

Given that several days have passed i suspect that this dragon may have passed away - if thats the case i am very sorry.

If your dragon is still hanging in there - please give a detailed account of your husbandry:

- Dragons age?
    - Tank size?
    - How its heated?
    - What are the temps?
    - What are the humiodity levels?
    - What are you using to check temps/humidity?
    - What brand of UVB do you have?
    - What does the diet consist of?
    - what supplements do you use?

I definately agree that a better reptile vet needs to be sought out. I hope your dragon is still with you!

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. crusty

crusty New Member

Hi: thank you guys for your concern. Spot is definetely giving a good fight. i took him to a third vet, who is very caring. Xrays showed broken spine at sacrum level, where tail join hip. he can heal not a problem, however we are waiting for him to poo on his own, monday is his next appointment. there is no MBD, so reason of fracture just a freaky accident, my mistake. i joined 2x 4.5 fish tank together and put a rope in between so they can climb in and out as they wish, and also put a mesh all the way down to the floor which i covered with soft mats for them to land softly and do their reptile thing all around the room. i tried the room to be as safe as possible for them, it is their room, so i gave my best shot to try and resemble the bush where they normally live, however, Spot is a very fast growing 2 year old, which may has made his bones a bit weak, so i suppose he climbed the rope and fall on the other tank in a bad way, and so this happened. my stupid mistake...his pain, totally unfair. i guess that is the consequence of trying to play God and control somebody's environment,lifestyle and whole life, i regret it deeply, i wish i could take back my mistakes, i wish i could put them in the wild where they belong by nature, but i cant, they are born in captivity and dont know any better. i suppose they are stuck with this stupid human, that is me.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. bruno

bruno Moderator

Hi crusty,
    Dont beat yourself up, accidents do and will happen, we can never make it 100% safe but we can minimize the risks, that's all we can do.
    As you say it was a freak accident, we can't prevent them.
    I had a Basilisk who broke her tail, it got between the sliding doors where they overlap and she jumped, result a bad break 4" from end of tail, was removed and she was perfectly happy.
    Good to hear you found a good vet at last, they are few and far between.
    It's also good that the spinal injury is close to tail, had it been further up the consequences could have been much worse.
    Hopefully they will be able to resolve the poop issue.
    I'm sure he will make a full recovery.
    My thoughts are with you.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. crusty

crusty New Member

thanks Bruno, i know you are. :)