Here My New Pet

Discussion in 'Iguanas' started by Mr.Slow, Oct 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr.Slow

Mr.Slow Embryo

Just got him/her tue. here a photo.

Also havea ?

will the iguanna be ok in the 10gal tank till i get a bigger tank i will be shopping for the tank friday, or should i get it tomorrow?

It's about the size of the tank.. with the tail..
    [​IMG]

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. crazyman1378

crazyman1378 New Member

he is going to grow really quick. a 10 gal is to small. at least a 55 gal and that will give him room and will last for awhile but you better plan on a cage that will hold him for life because they will get over 4 ft. do your research and plan for the future and good luck

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Mr.Slow

Mr.Slow Embryo

yea the 10gal is too small, i plan on getting a bigger tank think of the 55, how long will it last?

also how you tell if it a female or male?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. crazyman1378

crazyman1378 New Member

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Mr.Slow

Mr.Slow Embryo

thanks for the help.. also it's jump around alot in the cage isthat because it's too small?

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. crazyman1378

crazyman1378 New Member

they are just skidish and yes it could be.

12. Mr.Slow

Mr.Slow Embryo

that cool,

thaks for the help

13. sadsapysucker

sadsapysucker New Member

you are not feeding him the proper foods he is supposed to eat. they do make dry iguana food but that is not good for them. even if you were going to still feed it to him it is supposed to be wet so they can eat it. it looks like it's just hard put into the dish. there could be animal protein in the food which can cause kidney failure and lead to an early death. iguana's are supposed to eat fresh greens everyday such as collard greens, arugula, dandelion greens, escarole, chickory, cilantro, endive, with some squash and some fruit can be added only about 10% of the daily food though. by also looking at your picture the temperature does not seem to be hot enough. what kinds of lights do you have for him. he needs a basking light and a UVA/UVB light so he can properly utilize his calcium or he will get MBD. i'm not trying to be mean but it seems like you did not do any reaserch regarding him at all. he is going to become very stressed out if you keep trying to pick him up after you just transported him into a new home. you are supposed to leave them in their new surroundings for at least 4 days then start slowly putting your hand into the tank but not picking him up and gradually more and more each day until you finally pick him up. he needs to gain trust from you. you are just stressing him out by having him in an extremely small cage, trying to pick him up, not giving him the proper food or lighting. there cages are supposed to be around 90 at the highest point to bask in. then around 85 ish in the middle and around 80 towards the bottom of the tank to be able to regulate their temperature when they get too cold or too hot. you have him in a tank the same size as him where he can't even move or get the proper heating his body requires. i think you should have done a little more research before you went out and purchased an animal that will grow to be 6ft tall! they are cute now but wait until he gets stressed out and older and you don't pick him up everyday and teach him to be nice he can bite your fingers to the bone or slash your skin open by tail whipping you.

14. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

I just have a question:
    Is his eye swollen shut or does it just look like that because it's closed. Sometimes pics make simple things look funny.

15. Mr.Slow

Mr.Slow Embryo

The eye is closed, it will open.

I have good food for him, and for the lighting and cage i'm going to get a bigger cage and more lighting in ther i have a 50w basking light.. any help would be nice this is my frist iguana

16. sadsapysucker

sadsapysucker New Member

maybe you should have done the reaserch before you bought him. you need a UVA/UVB light immediately or he will have bone deformities. and what is good food. the food in that picture is not good food. do you think in the rainforest iguanas find pellets to eat. no they eat fresh greens like i said earlier. and you need to get him a bigger tank now. do you have a humidity gage in the tank? you need to spray him a couple of times a day with water and the cage to keep the humidity up to around 70-80 looks like you don't have that either. he will also be a very unhappy iguana and not eat if the temperature is kept as low as it is in that picture. it's around 75 in that picture. it needs to be high 80's with a spot that's in the 90's. he is a living thing and you shouldn't just buy him because he looks cute and then not be able to properly care for him and make him suffer.

17. Mr.Slow

Mr.Slow Embryo

i'm feed him green, vegetables and some fruit, alsoi spray the cage a few time a day.. first thing is i didn't ge a bigger cage because would not fix in my car and had to get my truck.. thanks for the help.. have to go for a few..

18. Mr.Slow

Mr.Slow Embryo

Ok, got a bigger tank and added a long and a few other things, tank is around 85 -90. how can i get up the humidity up? any easy way of doing this?

19. crazyman1378

crazyman1378 New Member

what size tank? what kind of substrait? what kind of bulb? what is the humidity right now and what is the humidity in your house?

need to know these things before i can tell you what to do!

20. wideglide

wideglide Well-Known Member

Is that accurate? I don't know much about igs but that seems too humid. Usually anything above 60% and you begin to have bacterial problems.

21. crazyman1378

crazyman1378 New Member

humidity needs to be around 40-50 and during sprays it can get to 60-70 for a breif time. my appartment stays at 80 degrees and and around 40% humidity so i dont have much problems. thats why i asked those questions!

22. Mr.Slow

Mr.Slow Embryo

THe house temp is 70- 75 and the hum around 40% and then is around 82-90 with e hum around 40- 48% this is st night outside at night get around mid 50's not sure that help.... tanks a 50gal. hope this helps..

also when i try to pick him up he jump around and does not let me get him, what is the best why to get him use to being pick up?

oh ya i spray the tank 3-5 time a day and feed him when i get home from work and before i goto work, is that ok?
    thanks for the help

23. Mr.Slow

Mr.Slow Embryo

oh ya the buld is a 75w

24. sadsapysucker

sadsapysucker New Member

humidity of 40-50 is way too low. iguanas will get dehydrated if they don't have propery humidity they rarely ever drink from their water dishes and proper humidity is how they stay hydrated. i've heard that 70-80% is a good level but i've also heard that it should be higher. especially when they are sheding a low humidity will make it very hard for them to shed.

This is probably the single most over looked aspect of iguana care. Humidity is essential to the general health of the iguana because these reptiles receive the majority of their water intake directly from the moisture in the air. As a result a healthy iguana will never drink from a water bowl as long as the humidity level is maintained so as a result a water bowl should only be provided as a source of humidity and a place for soaking. If an iguana begins to drink from standing water it is a good indicator that the humidity level within the enclosure is too low and that the iguana is becoming dehydrated. Humidity within the enclosure should be maintained at 95%-100%.

25. Mr.Slow

Mr.Slow Embryo

I know that, i'm having problems geting the humidity up to that level. how can i get it there..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.