Here My New Pet

Discussion in 'Iguanas' started by Mr.Slow, Oct 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sadsapysucker

sadsapysucker New Member

keep spraying the tank till it reaches 70-80 then when it starts lowering again spray it again.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Mr.Slow

Mr.Slow Embryo

ya i keep spraying it, not helping.. i'm thinking of trying the shower on and the the hum get up and put the tank in the for a few to help out.. what you think?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. ReptileCrazy

ReptileCrazy Well-Known Member

As far as getting him used to being handled, you are in for a long trip. It can take baby igs a year or more before they settle down. Its a long process and usually involves you getting bit, scratched and whipped, lol. Basically, just give him time to get used to you, try petting and interacting with him inside the cage until he is comfortable enough with you to let you take him out.

What kinds of fruits and veggies are you feeding him? Some are very good but some are very bad and its important to be feeding the right kinds.

Its good you have the temps up, but you will also need to buy a UVB bulb. UVB is a ray from the sun that stimuates iggys to metabolize calcium, without it they suffer gross deforimities and will die. Its important you get a good brand of UVB, reptisun 5.0, 8.0 and 10.0 are all good bulbs. Dont be decieved by misleading packaging, many bulbs claim to contain UV rays, but you have to read between the lines. The easiest way to tell if its a UVB bulb is by the price, if it costs less than 20-40$, its not a UVB. here is an example of a UVB bulb (http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog.../-/zoo-med-24-repti-sun-100-fluorescent-bulb/)

Do lots of reading about your iggy, iggys are very high maintence animals that require A LOT of specialized care to thrive. I would suggest buying the book Iguanas for Dummies by Melissa Kaplin and also checking out her website at anapsid.org.

Igs get real big, although yours is still little it doesnt take them long to become big green monsters! (albiet, cute monsters!). An adult iggy is going to need a cage that is at least 8ftx8x8. Its best to plan for that early.

As far as the humidity, although its good to maintain higher levels of humidity, its not good to have a saturated tank all the time either. Saturiation will lead to fungal infections and bacteria. Misting a few times heavily during the day, and allowing the tank to dry out a bit in between is usually best.

What are you using to measure the humidity and the temperature? If you are using stick on devices from the petstore, throw them away and buy better ones. You can get a digital thermometer/hygrometer at walmart for about 6$. Petstore therm/hydrometers are usually very inacurate

good luck

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Mr.Slow

Mr.Slow Embryo

I have a T-Rex Combo Pak, should i place the gauge in the tank or outside...

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. ReptileCrazy

I believe the kind you are talking about has the dials and sticks onto the glass, correct? If so, then its not a good enough measurement. The only ways to acurately measure humidity and temperature is digitally. Buying the combo digital hydrometer/thermometer from walmart will tell you acurately what your temps and humidity is

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Mr.Slow

Mr.Slow Embryo

ok, will do, i'll have to get out there sometime today.. hope this will help...

12. Mr.Slow

Mr.Slow Embryo

good news, the hum.. going up at 50% and moving up.. so i'm happy know..

13. ReptileCrazy

:) thats great

What about the veggies and the UVB? Which veggies are you feeding?

14. Mr.Slow

Mr.Slow Embryo

right now i'm getting him some Leafy greens,Squash,carrots,Apples, and this zoo menu iguana juvenile formula can food. i'll be getting a UVB light sunday.. I now i should ov got one at the time but my card ran out of money and left my cash at home..

more good news up to 60%.. just to make sure should be around 80-90% right

one more thing
    will be geting more food sunday any good food i need to help get good heath?

15. bluesquirrely4

bluesquirrely4 Member

I hate to say this, but you should have never got an iggy if you dont know what you are in for. They are a lot of work even for people that have grown up with them. this web site will give you some really great care sheets for iggys. http://www.corhs.org

16. Mr.Slow

Mr.Slow Embryo

i have no problem having him, i can take the work they need, he will be fine just having some ques. that i need to know.. thanks for all the help..

17. wideglide

wideglide Well-Known Member

Feel free to keep asking if you're not sure about anything at all! :D

18. Mr.Slow

Mr.Slow Embryo

if i have any i'll ask... thanks

19. MegannLizzy

MegannLizzy New Member

wanted to ask what kind of greens are you giving him / her? and what about calcium powder? and vitamins.? when he does get use to you a little more and dosnt flip one when you hold or touch him try giving him a bath is very very shallow water warm water will also help with shedding and make sure he is hydrated.

20. bratspets

bratspets Member

He is a cutie, Mr.Slow.

Igs don't like being "caught", but will eventually learn that they can safely hold on to you. Give it time.
    Good luck with all your research. Here are some more great sites to check out:

www.anapsid.com
    www.iguanaden.com

21. snitch

snitch Embryo

I bathe my iguana everyday in warm water (not hot) in a shallow bowl like a plate for a planting pot. Its skin absorbs the water. It was scared at the beginning, but I held it with one hand and pet it with the other. Shallow means that its body is only halfway submerged. With every bath it becomes more used to it. Soon it will go in th bowl itself whenever it needs to be dehydrated. Too much humidity is bad also. It creates skin illnesses. Did you get your cage in a petshop ? They should give you info. My petshop does not keep iguanas in tanks, but only in all screen cages for fresh air to go through. Her are some websites which can help: http://drexotic.com/care_iguanas.htm AND http://www.greenigsociety.org/home.html AND http://www.anapsid.org/ AND http://www.baskingspot.com/iguanas/ AND http://www.thefunplace.com/house/pets/iguana.html. You might want to buy a book about Iguanas: The best is "Green Iguana, The Ultimate Owners's manual" by Hatfiled. It is big. So to get started you can get "The guide to owning a Green Iguana" by Smith. The info is simpler and less exhaustive. BUT you really need to read get informed. Iguanas are not simple to take care of and are costly to maintain. The're so cute, it is rewarding. GOOD LUCK

22. herpfreak

herpfreak New Member

feed him pumpkin or acrn squash dark greens also you can sprinkle some oregeno on it for scent....i would recommend a cage 7'tall5'long and3'deep i have a iggy thats 3 and a half long and this is the only cage sghe will ever need

23. ReptileCrazy

Hey herpfreak, 3ft wide isnt really wide enough for an iggy. I suppose if its a very small female...it may be, but most igs are going to get 4-6ft depending on sex, and need a tank that they can at least turn around in without cramping their tails :)

24. herpfreak

herpfreak New Member

i was going by what melissa kaplan said and besides my girl climbs the walls to turn around and a five foot iggy should have no problem turning around in that cage(and five foot is the average for a female

25. wideglide

wideglide Well-Known Member

Yeah I agree 3 ft. deep will probably end up not being large enough.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.