Herman Tortoise

Discussion in 'Tortoises' started by holz, Jun 6, 2007.

1. holz

holz Embryo

Hi, I'm looking for someone that cab advise me on how long to leave the uv light on for my tortoise and how often the bulbs need replacing and any other useful information you think might be able to help me.
    Thanks very much :(

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. plmarsg8

plmarsg8 Well-Known Member

There should be a 12-14 hour light cycle for your tortoise. The bulbs should be replaced every 6 months.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. holz

holz Embryo

Thank you for your help i was up most of the night trying to do some research on it but most of the sites i went on didn't even mention changing the bulbs? they all seem to differ slightly from each other telling different temps,food etc it is just so confusing.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Wookie

Wookie Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's very hard to find good information on a lot of herps. as plmarsq8 says 12-14 hours light a day is fine. If you are using the tube UVB bulb you want to replace them every 5-6 months or the MVBs can last a year. Good tube are reptiglo and reptisun 10.0. Please pop by the tortoise thread and post some pics, I'd love to see your tort and perhaps we can help with any other setup issues you may have.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. holz

holz Embryo

I will post you some pics soon I promise. It's only small as it was hatched in 2006 but I will try my hardest for you.