Herp Tracking software

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by ssscales, Sep 14, 2009.

1. ssscales

ssscales Member

Not sure if any of you use some software, or Excel spreadsheet, or pad and pencil to record data for keeping and/or breeding your snakes or any herps, but I've used them at all one point or another. I keep data such as feeding, poop, urates, sheds, missed meals, any meds, any actions, notes, breeding records from introductions, copulations, sheds, many details that are critical when breeding, clutch and litter data, etc, etc for all my snakes.

One software that seemed really cool was a new one called Vyper that was being developed:
    http://www.talkradiosoftware.com/directory/direct.html

You may have seen a Youtube vid shot by Justin:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5z-OtnUqMg

I've been in contact with the programmer for about a month now helping in the design and features, as it was originally designed for Ball python breeders. I've worked with the programmer in adding many features for all snakes, whether you keep 1-10 or 100-1000+ this software should help you in your record keeping and husbandry. For you breeders out there, there is a section on creating invoices, genetics guarantees, tracking shipments, feeder inventory, bulk activities, supplier, contact and customer info. The software is still in Beta phase as it's still being tweaked, but if any of you wanted to try it out, just as for the beta version or I believe it is already available for auto download from the site. The Beta version only allows a max of 5 animals, but it gives you an idea of what's offered.

Let me know what you all think, and if there is anything you would like added or suggestion, the programmer is very flexible and open to anything as it's a learning experience for him in what works vs what may not be needed, all the while trying to keep it simple and user friendly.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. lil_shy_aries

lil_shy_aries New Member

hello ssscales
    I am so glad you wrote this.
    my vet laughs at me cause I come in with a folder for each of my critters. weather it be dogs,puppies,snakes, you name it I have binders filled with all this info you mentioned in this email. even the office workers laughs at me cause I ask to use their 3 ring hole punch. that way I can add it in the folder before I forget and put it in their folders.I amso happy that someone has come out with this software
    now I am not sure if you said everything that is in this software.
    you asked for sugestions that may want to go into this something I keep track of is weight, legnth,
    but these are things I keep track of always.
    well hears my two cents. you did ask for sugestions.
    ps. let me know when this is out I'll be in line. be easier then how im doing it now
    thank you for your time
    shy

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. ssscales

ssscales Member

Hi Kelly, all that is already in the software. You can track weights, measurements, add pictures in various areas, pictures for reports such as pairing, clutch or litter reports, feed, poop, sheds, you can also customize the data as you're able to edit the drop down menus as needed, area for medication, whole sections just for breeding data, there are plenty of spaces for notes, etc, etc. It's the most complete and user friendly of the softwares I've used for tracking data.

You can download a free version, if all you have is 5 snakes or less, this Demo version would cover you or if you have more than 5 snakes you could try it out and see if you like it and when the completed version comes out, upgrade.