Hey everyone. I need help with a frog.

Discussion in 'Treefrogs' started by boa_boy, Aug 24, 2007.

1. boa_boy

boa_boy Embryo

Hey,
    I am sorta new here at reptile rooms, so I was wondering if anyone knows where a good place to get a RETF is? I am very close to getting one at www.reptiledepot.com but I dont know much about them. Do you know if they are reliable, trustworthy, etc.? Any horror stories with them or any great success stories on a purchase? Thank you much.

garrison
    (Isaiah 25:1 NIV)

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. lestat

lestat Moderator

I've never bought anything from them, so I can't really help you there. I know of a breeder who probably has some. He's the guy I'd order from, personally. I'll PM you with his info.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. boa_boy

boa_boy Embryo

thank you, got the pm. do you know what his rates are as far as his RETF's? Thank you in advanced.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. lestat

lestat Moderator

He had them for $30 each at the show. I don't know if that's a show price or not though. They're very tiny and cute right now. :D

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. boa_boy

boa_boy Embryo

they're always cute...

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. lestat

lestat Moderator

That's true. I suppose I should have worded it "They're very tiny right now, and cute." The ones he has can fit on your fingertip. Watching baby frogs grow is awesome. I have two baby Tomato Frogs and I just bought a Pacman tadpole from that breeder.

12. boa_boy

boa_boy Embryo

wow thats cool. However I am on a budget, considering I am only 16 and without a job, so I cant spend more than $20 on one frog. So I am considering getting 2 whites tree frogs for 20 dollars at a pet store in Troy, MI. Then save some money and get some RETFs. I have quite a collection myself, for being 16. 1 ball python (female) 1 columbian red-tail boa (female) 2 grey tree frogs (Male, female) 1 albino African clawed frog (I dont know the sex) and a baby painted turtle ("Caesar", Male)

13. lestat

lestat Moderator

Personally, I prefer buying frogs I can see first, rather than ordering online, unless I know something about the breeder or distributer. There are some very shady companies out there. There are also some good ones.

That is a pretty nice collection. I wouldn't mind a red tail someday, but I don't really have room at this point.

This page should help you determine the sex of your African Clawed Frog: http://www.xlaevis.com/sexing.html

14. boa_boy

boa_boy Embryo

Yeah, I agree. Better Business Bureau and RipoffReport.com really help too, huh? Hahaha. But I think I am gonna go with the two white's tree frogs first, (I heard they make excellent pets) and when I have a bit more experience go with the more delicate RETFs. I think thats a wise choice instead of rushing into buying the red eyed tree frogs and potentially putting them in harm from my lack of knowledge about them. I definitely need to do more research...

15. lestat

lestat Moderator

That sounds like a very smart plan. It's never good to rush into getting something you might not be ready for. It's nice to see someone who realizes that! :)

16. boa_boy

boa_boy Embryo

i guess you could say i learned this the hard way