Hey I'm New and Need Help

Discussion in 'Enclosures, Heating & Lighting' started by KateDeem, May 23, 2012.

1. KateDeem

KateDeem Embryo

So I am going to get my first ever snake within the week. Her name is Brisk and she is a nice small corn snake. I started looking up different cage and care things for her and got very stressed. Seems confusing, and I don't have the money for all these trees and glass containers and whatnot. Do any of you have a way to make a nice home for her out of household things?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Louie

Louie Member

You could go with a plastic type bin as an enclosure and branches,etc for him/her to climb on and a small box as hide area (food type macaroni box is good size)
    I make holes with a hot nail held with pliers.

You have to keep in mind that snakes are escape artists and you are limited to what type escape proof enclosure you can use.

I posted a youtube link but it didn't take .

Youtube just look up plastic bin snake enclosures for ideas.

JEFFREH likes this.
  4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. WarPoet

WarPoet New Member

You could use some low tech cage furniture until you have the money for new supplies. I use the cylinder cardboard from paper towel rolls. They are light so they cant hurt your corn and if they are soiled you can throw them out and put in a new one. Also your corn will use it as a shelter. You can probably start off with a critter keeper cage until you guy a 10 gallon tank which should be able to house your corn for its first year or two. You can put a couple rocks from outside in your cage too. This will help him when its time to shed. You can use anything for a water bowl. Just make sure everything you put into your cage has been cleaned prior.

JEFFREH likes this.
  6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. bm1551

bm1551 New Member

Ya dont stress over all what they say you need. most important items you need to buy are a hygrometer and thermometer, bout 20 bucks with tax. then the lights. I go on craigslist and buy cheap aqauriums and stuff like that mesh lid and that kind of stuff. heres a pic of my frog and anole tank that I made for about a hundred bucks including the lights. I use zoo med high qaulity uvb bulbs but exo terra is under 20. for basking lights i use those old school round bulbs. and the uvb box i made out of the box from a hood lamp for another tank, and wrapped tinfoil around it on the inside. you need to wash the sticks you use really good if from out side. i just use really hot water and soak it. i do that a few times. and scrub it with a stiff bristle brush. I'm really handy being a carpenter but i built most of all my enclosures or altered tanks some how to work for me. have a look at the pic and feel free to ask me anything. Photo0444.jpg Photo0444.jpg Photo0445.jpg Photo0446.jpg

StikyPaws312 likes this.
  8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. ajlista

ajlista Well-Known Member

Honestly, i love getting creative with household things, especially hides, you can make alot of things from something you would normally throw out. For one, i sometimes use boxes, cut it to par, than once i clean the tank i throw it out and make a new one. Old plastic container that you would use as tupperware and you know those one or two times tupperware containers you can buy like 5 for 3 dollars at the supermarket? they have a snap on lid, i like to cut a small hole, burn the edges so it isnt to sharp, put paper towel on the lid and close it upside down, like the lid on the ground, considering it is flat. Spray it once in a while to make sure its constantly moist. Works good
    Good luck

StikyPaws312 and WarPoet like this.