hi all im new.

Discussion in 'Other Pythons' started by TwiztidCookie, Apr 16, 2004.

1. TwiztidCookie

TwiztidCookie Embryo

ok i've read over the forum and have gathered some information thats good.

im goin to the reptile and exoctic animal show may first and im pickin up my first ball python and bearded dragon. for the ball python im still tryin to figure out how big the tank should be..some say 20G is good for babys and 50G is good for adults? is that right?

plus any pointers would be nice. im tryin to get all the information i can so i can be well informed and a great owner.

thanks to all may reply in advance.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

Hello and Welcome! Sounds like you've got a lot of work ahead of you. One word of caution...I'd get one at a time so that you can get used to each animal separately rather than trying to get everything going all at once.
    There are some great caresheets on this site. Just click on the 'caresheet' link up at the top of this page and then click on 'ball pythons'. There's also one on bearded dragons.
    If you care getting both animals at the same time, one piece of advice I would give you is to make sure you have separate cleaning tools (like scoops, spoons, sponges, brushes) for each enclosure or disinfect them in between uses. This will help prevent cross-contamination.
    Baby balls are good in 20 gallons. Juvenile and adult obviously need larger. I've heard all kinds of ideas as to how to keep them and what size tank to use. My rule of thumb with any snake is make sure it has enough room to stretch out, move around, climb (if it is arboreal), can fit completely into it's waterdish (for soaking), and has a hiding place big enough for the entire snake to fit into. Most people say balls like a hiding spot that is really snug, but make sure it's big enough so the snake is completely hidden and comfortable.
    Good luck and if you have any more questions, let us know!

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. TwiztidCookie

TwiztidCookie Embryo

im actually setting them up in two different rooms so everything will be separte.....for now..so we all of them have time to adjust.

thanks again )

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. stormyva

stormyva Well-Known Member

The one at a time recommendation is very good and the show you are going to in Raleigh comes around every year. The best thing you can do is get one or the other and keep it for a year then go on to the next animal. A beardie is a lot of work and takes a special kind of person to care for them... they require you to prepare and offer a variety of vegetables, a variety of insects, and require special lighting and supplements. They can be a lot more expensive to own then people realize.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. TwiztidCookie

TwiztidCookie Embryo

i was actually thinking about that...but since my roommate is the one wanting the snake ... she's takin care of of it..im just buying it for her birthday. i was just askin questions cuz she doesnt have a computer.