Hi from Fort Walton Beach FL

Discussion in 'Florida Reptile Nuts' started by VividDragon, Apr 2, 2009.

1. VividDragon

VividDragon New Member

Hello my fellow Floridans !!! Just thought I would drop in and say Hi. I live in the Florida panhandle in Fort Walton Beach. As far as reptiles I have 2 bearded dragons Vivid and McLuvin (going to be adding 2 more one day soon) unless they pass this dumb ((beeping)) law!!! :lol:

Any other reptile lovers close to me? :)

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. justkev

justkev Hi :) Staff Member

Florida is also trying to get a few new regs. One that will seriously restrict native turtles (even if captive bred), even look-a-likes. meaning if a turtle looks like one that they protect, you can have that either. An example is: since the aligator snapper is protected.. then you cant have a common snapping turtle either. And then there is Sen. Nelson, who believes we are all in danger if burmese pythons in the everglades. He wants to ban the importation of ALL pythons. importation would include state to state transfers as well as international.

Fort Walton is my favorite beach in all of florida... well Destin i guess. Nice area..

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. VividDragon

VividDragon New Member

Thank you for all the great info I have been email people all day from the people on the list that was posted, to pet stores, breeders, diff reptile boards, myspace and reptilegeek blogs...and still going! :)

Destin is nice but to big a crowed for me...FWB is a little more quite...I need to live in the styx lol but no beachs ((sigh)) :lol:

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Jayme

Jayme New Member

What up Floridians? :)
    I like the Fort Walton beach area.. I've only been there a couple of times, but it was really nice. I have some family that lives there.
    Currently I live down by Tampa, but I'll be going up to Tallahassee soon for college, so I'll be closer to your area....

Yeah, that bill is rather.. ridiculous. I've been trying to help you out with spreading the word. I've been sending emails to youtube video makers whose channels focus primarily on reptiles asking them to make videos about this. Some of them have something like 700 subscribers, so that would be an excellent way to spread the word, eh? :lol:

Justkev, out of curiosity, where do you get your information? I'd like to be better informed, so is there a specific website you go to to learn this stuff?

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. justkev

justkev Hi :) Staff Member

I just check all of the government sites and i talk to people in this business a alot... speak to herp society memebers etc.. unfortunately i dont know of any one website that cover all of these laws or proposals... and that is exactly the problem. Their really is no single resource.

There is also PIJAC.. they are involved in federal laws. www.pijac.org

FWC (Florida Fish & Wildlife Conservation Commision) has a few feeds.. hard to find.. you can subscribe to them.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Jayme

Jayme New Member

Ah, okay. Thank you!

Oh, and I was also wondering where we go to send them our letters? Or are we supposed to wait and hold on to them? PIJAC said something about waiting until there is more information released.

12. dogking

dogking HOTM Winner September

hey vivid! i live in Jacksonville and am proud of it (not really). I hate the heat and someday want to move to N Carolina. My family and i used to go to your area for a conference every year. i am in a bad mood lately because i went to a Blazing Reptiles store and wounded and dead animals :cry:. i was sooooo tempted to write to them but my mom hates it when i do stuff like that. i saw male and female beardies in the same cage and when i looked closer the beard was covered in scabs! also i found a beardie with mouth rot and a dead spider. it sickened me! well i guess thats why good herpers fight for what they love.

13. VividDragon

VividDragon New Member

Hi all sorry I have been in bed sick, so have not been on in a few days...Thank you all for spreading the news about the HR669 bill....if you go to beardeddragon.org you will see post about it and a BUNCH of links and who all to write. I will post it on here soon just still really sick.

Fort Walton Beach is beautiful, I would love to live in the styx someplace but just look at these beaches! When I was younger I couldn't wait to move to someplace with mountains and snow....I spent 1 winter in Main and realized I'm a tropical person! The heat does get high but that's what that nice beautiful clear water is for!
    :)