Hi, I'm new here! Happy Birthday to a beardie who will always be in my heart.

Discussion in 'General Discussion and Introductions' started by wren152, Feb 19, 2012.

1. wren152

wren152 Member

I'm such a wuss. [/cried all over Baby while telling him how much I loved him in a wobbly voice] They're such good beardies for putting up with such a weird mom. XD Auzzie's getting so brave! She used to be so afraid, but since we moved her into Brother's old tank in the living room, she's come SO far! Yesterday she was comfortable enough to poop on the carpet under the skylight, which used to terrify her! I'm so proud. *tears up again* ;3; Soooo prroouuuudd...[/definitely the period] Now I'm laughing. 8D

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. wren152

wren152 Member

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Karlee

Karlee Member

Yeah, she will be ok. Just a few parasites the vet said could easily be erradicated. And I just get so happy when people find their pet no matter if its my time of the month or not. And I am never take things for granted so I dont need to tell my animals I love them, they already know (well I might love Tweety, such a pain).

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. wren152

wren152 Member

Haha, yeah, technically my darlings get lavished with attention and love every day, but I always take any opportunity to tell them, too. XD I'm just so happy!

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Karlee

Karlee Member

Mine get new toys that normally break within a week, which is why I stopped buying them toys and justs started loving them. And I just have to share this with you. I was downstairs this morning when I noticed Jimmety Cricket on the counter. I found them both within five minutes and when I went back to their cage, the door was wide open and Tweety was eating their mealies. I always have a few mealies in their cage in case they get peckish but I just found this very... odd. It is a miracle we still have Tweety.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. wren152

wren152 Member

How did they get their door open?? : O Wow, good job finding them. I guess Tweety lucked out then?

The other day was the first day of the year that the sun-patch from the skylight in the living room actually hit the floor! I was SO excited–it was only a small area of light, but this means that every day it'll get bigger and stay on the floor longer! So my beardies have been getting REAL sunshine every day just after noon! It's funny cuz Auzzie's still young, and doesn't seem to know what to do with the sun. She sits in it, and gets darker for basking, but she doesn't turn into a solar panel like Baby. XD He knows how to optimize his sun exposure! He angles his back and puffs himself out like a sail. XDDDD It made me laugh yesterday when he did it so suddenly! He wasn't afraid, just literally adjusting for absolute maximum sun-absorption. He loves his sun time. o3o

12. Karlee

Karlee Member

I think it was one of my siblings. Like how the five year old we still call human wanted to feed Jimmety Cricket, she fed him ten waxworms. Now he is so fat he wont eat :ROFLMAO:. I think they just left the door open maybe, it is a simple latch, no locks or nothing.

And thats good. I have a small kiddie pool outside with no chlorine I let them soak UVB while soaking in warm water. I dont let my CWDs since they can jump, but I let my beardies. The weather just got warm again so I might let them out today. How is it warm and I have a cold? I have been sneezing like crazy all day and it is warm outside.

13. wren152

wren152 Member

Ahhh. Well, I hope that doesn't get the lizards into trouble if they get into something they shouldn't! D:

Haha, I gave both my beardies a bath today! I just use the kitchen sink, but it's decent sized. I bet Baby would love a kiddie pool though! Auzzie not so much. She doesn't like water much. She's actually the same as Brother was-he haaaated water when he was young, and then one day he did a complete 180 and loved it. Dunno why,but I hope she grows into liking water too! Baby loves it though, and always has. XD

Aww, drink lots of tea! Maybe it was a sudden weather change? I usually get sick at the start and end of winter cuz of the weather change. Drink tea! Echinacea (I'm unsure of the spelling cuz I always call it echidna tea) is a great tea for boosting your immune system, or clearing up sinuses during a cold!

14. Karlee

Karlee Member

Trust me, there is no way to have lizards and children in the same house and not have trouble.

My beardies hate water, but they need UVB and they seem to enjoy being in the water outside. Some times I would put in some feeder fish that I have for my CWDs (dont worry, they go straight to my CWDs afterwards) and they would chase it all over the kiddie pool. The kiddie pool was mine, we just have it for sentimental reasons.

And we are eating chili so I hope that works. I also drink pickel juice because I think it taste good and people look at me like I am mental. I would literaly pour myself a glass and drink it. And can reptiles catch my cold? I would really like to avoid that but I would like to see a snake sneeze one day;).

15. wren152

wren152 Member

Haha, we used to get feeder fish for our CWDs! Mellow loved those things. Darwin doesn't seem to care for them much though, and I think we have too much hardness in our water, cuz the fish seemed to die suddenly the last several times we got them, so we stopped getting them because it was a waste of life, food and money.

If it's salmonella? I dunno, that doesn't really affect reptiles, they're just carriers. It's far more common to get salmonella from undercooked eggs though. You may have gotten anything else, and in general human diseases aren't transmittable to our pets. Although yeah, it would be cute to see a snake sneeze. XD Baby cough/sneezed today after I gave him a bath, but that's just cuz he was a numbnut and chugged the water. XD He was fine though. And then they both got sun time!

16. Karlee

Karlee Member

Candy is a better fishermen then me some times. She would eat anything you put in that water (she even attacked a rubber duck I put in there because it has a tiny thermometer underneath it). Jimmety Cricket will only eat them if I put them on land for them, he just doesnt like water.

When you said, "They're just carriers", it reminded me of pigeons. I dont know why, just does. And I dont think Salmonella, or a normal fever should affect me too badly at this age. I am taking so much drugs its hard to tell. Cough drops, pain killers (bone bruising in my toe, something you WALK on), tynole (I would take penicilin but I am severly allergic. Docters say I could take it in the hospital and they still wouldnt be able to save me), and thats about it but for me, thats a lot of drugs. And I am glad I dont need towear latex gloves when handling their food.

17. wren152

wren152 Member

Hehee, carrier pigeons! I went to the new SPCA in this area a while back with my BF-just to look around, since the new building has so much space and such wonderful facilities for all the critters, and they actually had pigeons! Some of them were evidently retired racing pigeons or something? I forget, but they were BIG, and they were beautiful. Nothing like the pigeons I see at school in SF, although I do love those little scruffy featherbags too. X3 I just love pigeons. I used to feed them every day after school, back in middle school. Good times. XD

Are you really really ill? D: Are you going to be okay? I had leukemia when I was 3, but I pulled through-I'm so happy to be alive, the world may have a lot of problems, but it's a wonderful place nonetheless. I'm so lucky, and I love my BF, and I'm gonna go snuggle him and tell him how grateful I am to have him for the millionth time after I hit submit. XD I'm a firm believer in expressing my thankfulness, and my gratitude to life for being so kind to me, and allowing me to share so much time with the people I love.

In any case though, bruised bone sounds incredibly, awfully painful. Especially anywhere on the feet. D: I really hope it gets better soon!

18. Karlee

Karlee Member

I think it is kinda cruel how they train their pigeons. Pigeons mate for life, so when they train them, they seperate them so the male would obviously miss her and try to get to her. And then after weeks or months (I heard this a while ago so bare with me) they would let the male fly miles and miles home to her and then reintroduce them. I just dont like how they do it for some odd reason. I am against training any animal to race just because I think it is uneeded to have a good pet.

It cleared over. Tyonole did the trick apparently (and DELICOUS chili), and a consult with a docter. He confirmed it was salmonella but he didn't know the origin. He said it was a mild case and tyonole would do the trick (I don't know how to spell it but I will not go down stairs just to read the name of a bottle). Waste of my money going to a docter. My toe is still sore and people think I am faking a serious foot injury when I limp down the stairs. It is better, just not over. I HATE how I can't have my pain killers with me every where I go. It wears off in about three hours so it sucks pretty badly.

And I know why my dragons stopped eating, Jimmety Cricket and Candy are both shedding right now and Jimmety Cricket also has pink eye (vet said it was just a bad case of pink eye, even I could of figured it out. It took her an hour to find out he had pink eye?). Jimmety Cricket's head is almost down but their actual body is puny to their tail so he has a ways to go. And he is brightly green, I will try and post pics when he is done. Candy is just starting to lose some on her lip, but she is shedding.

19. wren152

wren152 Member

Aww, I never knew that about the racing pigeons! D: I feel bad for them now. They were so pretty and HUGE.

Tylenol, I think! : D Pretty handy stuff. I use aleve and advil on a more regular basis, but that's just cuz of monthly cramps, which I'm actually pretty lucky with. It could be a lot worse! I mean, it sucks sometimes, yeah, but thankfully my body reacts to the pills really well, so I never complain unless someone squishes my stomach. XD Or unless I don't have cake. Mmmmm, caaaaake. I'm such a sucker for pastry goods. And candy. I go on a monthly candy spree. XD

I'm glad you're getting past it though! I had a friend who had salmonella one time in HS, and she lost a ton of weight and everything, she said. She was already pretty tall and skinny, so it was a pretty drastic change. But she was alright. I'm glad this was just a mild case.
    I'm sorry about your toe though, I really hope that keeps improving. It's amazing how much our toes affect our walking. : O

Ooooh! yay pretty green lizards! Wow, lizards can get pink eye? How does that effect them? What're the symptoms, besides stopping eating? And how do you fix it?

20. Karlee

Karlee Member

Yeah, I am pretty bad with pills. I have to be careful which ones I take because I am allergic to ten different brands and I have to tell every one of them to a docter every time I go to one. I have to write it down or I will forget. Most of the time though, even if I am not allergic to pills, my body will still try to throw it up because my coughing gets worse.

I like to eat raw cake batter so it may have been that.
    Homer: Mmmmm... Cake
    Or it could have been from that turtle, only god knows. I am just glad I am not lying in bed all day watching Spongebob, Family Guy, The Simpsons, American Dad, and nature shows. I have always loved spongebob since I was little, its just so good. And then I like all those other comedy shows that are just plain stupid.

My toe cleared up thank god. I can walk normally again! You dont know how grateful I am for walking right now. I dont take anything for granted, except maybe walking in the past.

Well thats what a vet said while I was playing Pacman on my phone. Pink eye is where you get any bacteria in your eye to where it becomes iratated, so I am guessing almost anything except plants can get pink eye. The symptoms are the same for people basicly, iratated eye(s) and loss of appetite (for lizards. Not even salmonella kept me away from food (Well, I only drank softdrinks)).

21. wren152

wren152 Member

Wow! I'm sorry. D: The only thing I'm allergic to is certain kinds of sunscreen (I only use the coppertone water babies, spf 45 ish or so) but that's not too bad, that's just a mild inconvenience every great once in a while-it's not like it gets terribly boilingly hot here, so I'm not out in the sun a lot. I wish it were hot. You're in Texas, right? What's it like there? What's the quality of life? What major city are you nearest to? Do you like it there? How's the weather, the school system, the people there, etc? My BF and I have kinda formed a vague idea that maybe someday we might want to live in Texas. We've besically decided to spend the next 5-10 (closer to 10) years researching before we decide. We've heard a lot of perspectives from all kinds of different people, but it never hurts to hear one more, if you're okay telling me? : D

Mmm, well, can't blame you with the raw foods. I do love cake batter, and raw chocolate chip cookie dough. And it IS more likely to get salmonella from raw eggs, I've heard. Dunno if it's true or what.

Haha, I don't watch TV, but my BF and I do watch old episodes of the Simpsons (aw yeah!) Fresh Prince of Bel-air, and the Office. (although we're up-to-date on the Office, he downloads the new episode each week, so I guess it's lie watching TV but without commercials. Hehe)

Oh, that's great! haha, I remember when I sprained my ankle so badly once I was on crutches for 1 day, and the next day I felt much better, but I was like 'I CAN WALK!' and it was like a miracle or something. XD

Ohh, well then I guess that makes sense. Pink eye sure does suck. I got it a few times when I was little. -___- Everything about it sucks, including having to take eye drops. Suuuuucks.

22. Karlee

Karlee Member

Texas you get a little bit of everything. A LOT of nice people, one of the best education systems, beautiful beaches (when their not croweded), and you could see a lot of different wild life by just walking out your front door (well where I live). I see a lot of hawks so dont bother bringing small pets out there btw. In the summer it's blazing hot (not humidity hot, I cant stand a lot of humidity), yet in the winter its freezing. In spring, you can get perfect days where you want to literally live outside. I live in Katy so I live twenty miles from Houston. Heading out to Pasadena Saturday for a Reptile Show. Pasadena is at the far end of Houston where I live and it's about an hour long drive. It takes about 5-9 hours to get out of Texas so there is plenty of land.

I will willingly eat any raw dough except for pancake dough. Brownie, muffin, cake, cookie, etc. I am suprised I have never got salmonella up until now:p.

Yeah, the simpsons are awesome. My favorite character is Bart. I never watch Bell Air or The Office. I do watch The Crocodile Hunter sometimes, George Lopez (ONE OF MY FAVORITE), My Wife and Kids, and I watch some little kid shows with the kids I babysit.

I literally screamed "I CAN WALK AGAIN! TAKE THAT YOU..." in my friends face. I dont cuss on this site purposefully because of how many young people come on. There was on this one forum where they misinterpreted a sentence I should have read over more carefully.

Yeah, Jimmety Cricket's eye is cleared up. I have to forcefeed him a pedialyte, plain yogurt, and powder mix. The vet said that would jumpstart an appetite. I dont really trust the vet for some reason. Maybe it is just the thought of them possibly killing my reptile if they arent good enough. Heck, I dont even like docters cause I am afraid of needles. Too bad for me because I am known to have seizures a lot. I remember when I was in Kindergarden and as soon as the docter pulled out a needle, I kicked and screamed as much as possible. It took ten nurses to hold me down before I got tired. Then I watched in amusement as they drew blood from my arm three times. I am such a fail.

23. wren152

wren152 Member

Ooooh, well that all sounds pretty good. I've heard a lot of controversy about the education system, and a lot of stuff about how politics are screwing it over and all that, but at the same time I hear that for everywhere, and I supposedly went to blue ribbon school, which are supposed to be the best, and I can definitely point out the massive flaws, so I figure someday when I have kids and they're in school, my bf and I have agreed that we'll be teaching them about life and common sense and all that along side what they learn in school.
    And lucky! I've been to 2 reptile expos in my entire life, and I love going, but they just don't seem to happen in the bay area of CA much! They're all down in LA, and there's literally no logical way for me to have the time or transportation to go to any of them. I've literally been waiting for over a year for the upcoming one in July in San Jose (we missed it last year) but that's now the only one I can go to all year round. *huff* If only they'd hold another one at the fairgrounds 5 minutes walk from my bf's house. XD

Haha, good policy with the cussing. I say some bad words, but they're only really mild ones, or ones that I don't consider to be bad words (like hell) but even in normal life I don't like to swear. but yeah. PG13 websites. XD

Oh, great! Woo pedialyte! My step sister used that when her beardie once got sand in her eye (she never used sand ever again-that stuff is so terrible for beardies, I wish they'd stop advertising it for them, she had to learn the hard way)

Man, I had leukemia growing up, so I had to be okay with needles, but I still didn't like them at all. What was funny though is that I took pills for my medication for all that time, and then once I was over it, I mentally blocked all pills, and then for years I just couldn't swallow pills. (I ended up getting liquid tylenol and such) now I've trained myself to be able to take pills again. (thankfully, cuz I prefer that over liquid medecine, yucky!) My middle sister is terrified of needles though, and she was just the same! Bunch of people had to hold her down, etc. XD Aw yeah!

24. Karlee

Karlee Member

Happy St. Patricks. I punch people who arent wearing green (I am not irish by the way. Native American) and it is hilarious when they look at me like I just commited a crime against humanity. I even do it to random people.

We have reptile shows literally all the time over in Houston. I had a great time and there were so many snakes that I got to handle yet didnt buy any. I didnt see any hognoses unfortunatly but got an awesome icee. I am thinking of a Kenyan Sand Boa, they were really sweet little things.

Oh and I have some bad news about my CWDs. I am selling both because I cant keep up with the cages, food (my beardies cost enough, but I dont get rid of them because they arent mine), nor their vet bills (pretty costly when you go there a lot). My friend, Autumn, was going to take Candy but switched to Jimmety Cricket. Now to find a home for Candy. I just cant keep them because of how much money those two cost me. They were both wild caught so I am spending a lot of money on them that I dont have. Any chance you know some one who can take her? I cant sell you the cage because Autumn already bought it.

I feel so sorry for you. I am epileptic with malnurishment and it is just really bad for me. I am not going to tell you what exactly I have because it is not your buisness (no offense). I hate needles, but no one needs to hold me down any more.

25. wren152

wren152 Member

Haha! I can't imagine pinching people (or punching) for not wearing green, I just feel so bad thinking about it. XD So if someone I know isn't wearing green, I ususally carry green ribbon around and I'll give them a piece to tie on themselves. And then I'll snuggle the CRAP out of them. >8D
    I'm part Irish, on my mom's side, and part Scottish, from my dad's side. There's also some polish, from my great granny on my mom's side, and somewhere there was some German or something too, and who knows what else. I don't really care too much though, I just say 'woo scottish-irish!' and being a mutt is good enough for me. XD

Yeah, I get the Reptiles magazine, and every time I look in the back at the expo listings, and I'm always jealous of Texans cuz they have so many shows. XD So jealous! Hehee.

Awww, I'm sorry to hear that. D: I know it's tough–CWD's are expensive little buggers, to be sure, and we've certainly had enough experience with getting dragons that already had health problems (the original 4 we got had such a bad BG). At least you have a home for Jimmety Cricket. I wish I could help you out with Candy. If we didn't have the Twins, I'd even say we might have room for her ourselves, but as it is we can't take on any more new ones. However, I would really suggest setting up a post in the forum here for adoptions, and ask around to absolutely everyone you possibly can, see if someone has a connection who's interested. : O Maybe even ask your vet, if they know someone interested in a young CWD, and maybe go to local pet stores and ask them if you can put information to contact you about Candy near the reptiles that're for sale. Especially a Petco, I dunno if they'd allow it, but their cages all say 'Think Adoption First' so maybe if you have a small flier, you can ask them if you're allowed to post it in a corner of their CWD tank, so that people have an opportunity to adopt first?

And don't feel sorry for me, I'm alive and healthy now, and I'm constantly happy for that fact. I love life, no matter how tough stuff gets, because hey, at least I'm here, and I made it through, and I'm so lucky. So yeah, it sucked, but I don't remember much of it, but what I do remember just makes me appreciate life more now.
    Whatever you do have, I really hope it improves in the future, and I will say good luck with whatever it is. No worries about not telling me the details, that's your personal information to share or not, and I can definitely respect that.