Hi there

Discussion in 'Treefrogs' started by Cooter_the_BD, Oct 17, 2007.

1. Cooter_the_BD

Cooter_the_BD New Member

ok so i am new to the hole Amphibian thing, and it looks like something i could get into.

now right now i have a bearded dragon and a ball python.
    so i do have some experience in tank dwelling animals.

so here are the questions:
    1, can someone set me up with a link to a perfect tank set up? i know they need 6 gallons per frog, right?
    2. can someone tell me there temps and humidity?
    3. i was on here a week ago looking and i remember seeing once i get the right set up you will not need to clean poo, because it will work as a great fertilizer, anyone no?
    4. how are they handled? are they risk takers ?
    Thanks for any help
    jake

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. lestat

lestat Moderator

Somehow I missed a lot of new posts this month. Sorry about that.

1. The 'perfect' set up depends entirely on what species you want to keep. So does the '6 gallons per frog' idea. I wouldn't house a single adult tree frog in anything less than a 20 gallon. Burrowing frogs, however, generally aren't as active and don't require a 20 gallon tank.

2. Also depends on the species. Most species do pretty well around 75 degrees, but some require different temps. Humidity should fluctuate each day, anywhere from 60% to 90%. You'd have to specify which species to get a more accurate answer.

3. If you have a fully planted viv, meaning, a lot of live plants, not just one or two, then you won't need to change the substrate. However, you will probably still need to clean the glass and the plants. My Maroon Eyed Tree Frogs, for example, poo on the leaves all the time.

4. Frogs should not be handled much at all. They absorb everything they touch through their skin, which includes oils and chemicals from your hands. Some people use gloves, but you'll have the same problem there. You also run a pretty big risk of them getting away and dying before you can find them. I never handle my frogs just to play with them.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Cooter_the_BD

Cooter_the_BD New Member

i cant remeber off hand what type they were i think its a white tree frog(if thats a type:wink: lol) what if i get a 40g breeder tank, how many could be in that?
    and do you have a care sheet link? if you could, would you put a pic or two up of your viv/
    thanks
    jake