Hi!

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by Picasso and Escher, Apr 1, 2013.

1. Picasso and Escher

Picasso and Escher New Member

I am new to this group.. I have a pair of 2 year old beardies,Picasso is my male, and Escher is my little female... Oi have learned quite a bit from reading, but don't know any other beardies owners to ask for advice.. Escher lays eggs often. All infertile.. What's the deal with that?.. Picasso developed some kind of strange skin condition,my vet said it was a form of yellow fungus.. Good god.. That's been fun, lol, he had several weeks on iatraconazole,and did well, and I give him an iodine bath every other night, and then put lamisil on his little owies.. Poor guy.. He's doing well,eating playing, curious, alert, and healing!!
    How long does it take till they are fully grown?..I also am taking care of my sons iguana... He's 38 inches long and is beautiful.
    Rather cranky,and only let's me pet him, but getting him out of his cage to play or have a bath... Wow..better than an aerobic workout. I love them all and want to do the best I can for them. So that's why I am here..

Cammy likes this.
  2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Cammy

Cammy ReptileBoards Addict

Sounds like you are off to a great start with your herps!

It's always a relief to see an owner who is already working with a qualified vet--judging by the treatment methods it sounds like he knows what he is doing. Make absolutely sure you do not let the uninfected beardie come in contact with ANYTHING the infected one has been in contact with, and thoroughly sanitize your hands after handling the sick guy. (You probably already know this, but I want to emphasize it; it's a very contagious issue and not something you want your other reptiles to get.) The fact that Picasso is eating is an excellent sign, especially after the rounds of antibiotics. It still may be beneficial to supplement the "good bacteria" which was inevitably wiped out along with the bad by giving some liquid acidophilus.

For little miss egg layer, just make sure she is getting plenty of calcium and UVB and that she has a suitable nesting box to lay her eggs in. It's not unusual for females to lay infertile eggs on a regular basis. After she had laid a set, make sure you give her some extra protein and calcium to help her bulk back up. Laying eggs that often can take a lot out of them.

Beardies should be almost fully grown (length wise at least) by a year old, but will continue to grow and fill out for up to about a year after that. Iguanas pretty much grow until they die, although the growth slows down significantly after they reach sexual maturity.

The iguana aggression is pretty typical for a male. I'm glad to hear you are working through it though. You can always try to redirect his aggression towards a stuffed animal or even a small pillow. Make sure you are saving his favorite fruits as treats for when he is out and about with you.

I hope this covered all of your questions, but please don't hesitate to ask anything else. Also feel free to post some pictures of your babies! Welcome to the boards!

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Picasso and Escher

Picasso and Escher New Member

I am glad to know I am doing right by my babies.. I got into them quite by accident. My son and his wife were having their first child,and moving to a place that didn't allow pets, so I became foster mom to their 2 beardies,spike and missy,and to goober the iguana I now have..
    They scared me to pieces at first,and I made the kids come over to take care of them..but the more I saw the beardies,and how docile they were, I slowly started taking over their care.then I was hooked, so I got a pair of my own,barely hatchlings,I really love the beardies!!.. Goober wasn't handled much, so it has taken me a year to get him to the point that he lets me pet him and rub his head.. He hates having his tail messed with, and he's still not a fan of leaving his cage for an occasional soak, but I'm patient,and I will keep working with him..
    Picasso and Escher are my beardies, and although he s being treated for this fungus, and they have been housed together since the beginning,she has shown no signs of anything except being full off eggs frequently. I keep a close eye on her, and I examine them closely when I'm holding them..both are doing really well, and love basking on the window sill shelf that I made for them. At what point can I give them pinkies?? They get flukers ,and crickets and worms,along with their fruit and veggies? And can you tell me more about this stuffed animal concept with my iguana? image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

StikyPaws312 likes this.