Hilton Head Pictures (pic heavy)

Discussion in 'Photos & Photography' started by Cammy, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Cammy

Cammy ReptileBoards Addict

Here's some pics I took on vacation that I thought you guys would appreciate.

Low quality phone picture, but the only one I could get before he slithered away. He wasn't that big--probably about 4 feet long and 2 inches thick. I'm guessing a racer or rat but I really don't know my snakes well enough...
    [​IMG]

Loggerhead turtle nesting site. These things were marked off all over the beach by our house. I know it's not an actual turtle but I thought it was pretty cool to at least see the evidence of these endangered creatures still thriving and being protected by humans.
    [​IMG]

Juvenile 5 lined skink. This guy hung around the pool deck a lot. I saw an adult female too but didn't have my camera on hand when she peeked out, and she was gone in a heartbeat.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Green anole
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And finally, the extremely rare...........doorbell.
    [​IMG]

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. dogking

dogking HOTM Winner September

lol! I actually thought the doorbell was a real animal at first!

Cammy likes this.
  4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. lizardgurl87

lizardgurl87 HOTM Winner April

So Cool!! Was it hard to catch that anole? I can barely catch mine and he's contained lol! That's a really nice looking skink too and he's a cute little guy! I always love their blue tails! :)
    It must have been fun to go to the beach! I haven't gotten out swimming much, though I still managed to get rather tan(a first!), well-for me and my usual paleness :p After I burned 1st though of course-I've heard by the ocean you can get burnt pretty bad though, right? I guess I'll learn when I go to Florida next year!

Cammy likes this.
  6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Cammy

It wasn't too hard to catch the anole but I've had lots of practice at work. And I love the blue tails too--I wish they stayed that bright, though.

Yeah, I loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooove the beach. Hooray for pale people! I'm so white I practically glow in the sun.......I didn't tan or get burned though because I'm very diligent about sunscreen application. Remember to reapply every 2 hours! Haha, I sound like your mother I'm sure. =P And yes, you can burn pretty easily out on the beach because of the reflection off the sand. That's especially true on Florida's white beaches. (Same with snow. People can actually get sunburned from the sunlight reflecting off of it.) So yeah........sunscreen. It's your friend.

lizardgurl87 likes this.
  8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. lizardgurl87

I didn't know the blue tails don't stay blue! Too bad :/

And that's a lot of o's lol! I haven't really been to an official beach by the ocean or anything, just Lake Erie and parks so far. I can't wait to go to a legit beach though! :p And I should be more diligent next year about the sunscreen then, especially when I do go to Florida! Everyone's saying that I tanned nice and everything, though I do have two big pale strap marks from my tankini lol! I was mad when I started tanning and I can't wait to get pale again in the winter! I have pride in my paleness too! :) Ya, my legs would "glow" in the sun too, but they've gotten about "average" color now, my arms are always sort of darker though, most likely since I never wear long-sleeved shirts(even in winter), unless they button or zip up. I had to go searching for the lightest shade of foundation and I finally found one, since "Ivory" always looked orange, but I found a "Light Porcelain" that works finally! At least my face didn't tan too much!

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. ajlista

ajlista Well-Known Member

Wow, you know i never realized how many people have never been to a beach, just thinking about it. Here in new york, its just, a thing, haha, I dont even like to go there anymore, i used to fish with my dad every single day from the time i was like 7 then i fell off the boat once. Lol terrriiffieeddd. But I never noticed how its actually a privilege to have a beach, or beaches all so close to me. By the way i love that skink, so birhgt!

12. lizardgurl87

Well, in NY, did you go to a beach by the lake? Or did you go down to the island or NJ and go by the ocean? I'm saying I've never been to an actual beach by the ocean, we have the Great Lakes, so there's beaches and tons of boating, but no legit beach in my opinion lol :p

13. ajlista

Yeah i meant beach as in by the ocean. I used to go to great kills harbor all the time. Greece ( i think thats what its called or how its spelled. Haha. I Live in staten island. Ive been to mantaulk, the ocean is a pretty common thing here, haha. Fox beach, I cant even name how many ive been too. I hate sand that quite honestly. All the years of walking the beach ( Im only fifteen, almost sixteen, but from the time i was little) in boots, its just im tired of it, haha. Cant stand the feeling of it in between my toes. Esh , hate it, lol. Ive been to beach's by lakes to. Its just sand is such a son of a beach (Pun :D)

lizardgurl87 likes this.
  14. Badger711

Badger711 Member

Awesomeness! By the way, I'm 98% positive your snake is a rat, racers generally don't get to 4 feet. Awesome finds, love the skink. They're fast, I usually have to take pictures from a distance.

15. dogking

HA! you have never been to Florida then! The Black Racers here get to be 4-5 feet!

16. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

Aj, I feel the same way about totally forgetting that for way more than half the country, the ocean and a beach is something they may have never been to! It's crazy, all the places I have ever lived in my entire life have been within walking distance from an ocean beach. I used to dock my sailboat down the block from my house in Boston Harbor and up until last year I was under a mile from the Great South Bay and a 15 minute boat ride to the ocean beaches. Now I'm a whole 8 minute drive! Craziness! Lol. We really take for granted the amazing beaches we have on Long Island :)
    Anyway, love the pics Cammy :) Hilton Head is beautiful! That's awesome that you got to spend some time down there, and I love how they mark out the nests and protect them now! That's awesome!!

17. Badger711

Badger711 Member

I withdraw my ID, and replace it with a Southern Black Racer. Totally forgot you were in Florida P:

dogking likes this.
  18. dogking

hahaha! thats ok! I would have thought rat snake too! It is kind of hard to tell by the photo.

19. Badger711

Badger711 Member

Agreed, but the scales don't really look keeled, which throws out rat, but I can't be positive.

20. Cammy

I'd guess it was a rat. It froze in place when it saw me looking at it from the deck, then very slowly slithered away. I think racers tend to.......race. Also it was very shiny.

21. Badger711

Badger711 Member

Quite possible then. Also depends what time of day you saw it, in the morning they're a lot more lethargic.

22. ajlista

You right stiky. Im in long island right now. And my uncle fishes alot out here and when i go with him it is extremely beautiful (Despite the polluted water, lol). I guess it is a privelege

23. mr_andrew

mr_andrew Member

Nice Pics!

So true. I think I actually get burned more in the winter (snowboarding) than summer!

Lake Erie has some nice beaches! I go out to Crystal Beach all the time in the summer (or try to anyways lol). Water is clean, clear, usually a good temperature, and its only about 40 minutes away. I guess we are on the north shore from you lol. And east. But down at Long Point its probably almost directly across from where you would be, and its probably my favourite beach, ocean or no ocean. I can see Lake Ontario from my house but its so polluted down here... definitely not recommended for a swim.

I've been in oceans, and it is fun with the big waves and all, but I find the saltwater gets to me after awhile and I can only stay in so long... but freshwater I can stay in allllllll day :)

lizardgurl87 likes this.
  24. tokaygirl55

tokaygirl55 New Member

Fairly sure the first picture is a black racer. Those things are crazy aggressive! But when I was little I would catch them all the time... XD

25. tokaygirl55

tokaygirl55 New Member

And I lived in Florida. So yeah, almost positive that's a black racer.