Hognose snake diet

Discussion in 'General Snakes' started by Jaws10A, Mar 15, 2008.

1. Jaws10A

Jaws10A Member

What do hognose snakes eat? i think i might want one :lol:

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. 00luke00

00luke00 Well-Known Member

In the wild, they tend to eat things like toads however they do come accostomed to a f/t mice diet in captivity with a little persuasion :wink:

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Jaws10A

Jaws10A Member

some sites say they can eat insects....is this true?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. reako45

reako45 Member

What type of Hognose specifically are you talking about? Western, Eastern, or Southern (native U.S. species)? I keep a 1:1 pair of Westerns and hope to get a 3rd female tomorrow. Captives are usually fed rodents. Even hatchlings can take toad scented pinkies. I don't know very much about Southerns (except that I like them) or Easterns which I think are more inclined to take toads than are Westerns. The Mexican Hogs (Heterodon nasicus kennerlyi) are very cool too. I've never heard of Westerns or Mexicans taking insects. There are also the tri-color Hogs and the big Madagascar Hogs.

Matt10:16
    reako45

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. bodom85

bodom85 Member

I have kept tricolor hogs and westerns. Westerns usually start off with pinky mice but sometimes need scenting. They are your best bet as there are alot available on the market. The do well in captivity. Tricolors are a bit harder to get to eat as babies as they are a bit smaller. I had 1 of my 5 fresh hatched start on unscented. 3 of the others took to unscented within 3 to 4 meals and 1 died from unknown reasons. Hogs are a very unique speices. I don't know much about easterns. Im from PA and they are native here and we cant keep most natives. I hear people say they do not do well on mice alone but I've heard others tell me different. I do not know many who keep them. Southerns seem to be increasing in popularity but I dont know much about them either. The madagascar hogs get pretty big. I have not heard of them eating insects. They are rear fanged venomous if you are not aware of that. I have not seen many prone to bite though. Most will thrash around and hiss then throw closed mouthed strikes in the opposite direction of you. Its usually all a show. If you are lucky you'll get one that will fake being dead. I haven't seen this in captive snakes. Their venom is not considered harmful to humans. I know a few people who have been bitten and not had any problems what so ever. There is an article floating around here of a guy who let the snake chew on him for a good few minutes and had is arm swell up like a balloon.