Hognose snake not eating

Discussion in 'General Snakes' started by Jaws10A, Mar 22, 2008.

1. Jaws10A

Jaws10A Member

I have a friend that caught his own hognose snake and envied him a ton....it eats for him just like one that you can buy at a store...and the thing is....about 3 years later...i caught one. That is where I am now....I bought him pinky (as my friend did) and tried feeding him....no response.....then i rubbed it on an albino clawed frog....still no response....Is there some way to make him eat???? ill give him a few more days then I gotta release him if he dosent eat =[ I dont want to kill him, but i hate to release such a wonderful and rare snake. Please help :[

Thanks!!!!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. bodom85

bodom85 Member

What kind of hognose is it? Eastern or Wester? In the wild their diet consists mostly of frogs and small lizards. Snakes are hit and miss with acclimating from the wild. When did you catch him? About how old would you say it is? If its a babie I'd say release it and try again. Baby hogs can go down hill fast if they dont eat. I'd say try live w/ this guy at first. He is from the wild and is used to everything moving. If you cant get him to eat live unscented, then go with trying to catch a little frog or toad and try that. If its an older snake, then it can go long without food. Snakes in the wild aren't always custom to a weekly offering of food. Also check your state laws and make sure you are allowed to collect native species. I know here in Pennsylvania, hogs are off limits to collecting.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. me101

me101 Embryo

Collecting WILD animals

Look, I hate to do this but... Why on earth would you go and take an animal out of its home (where it EATS !) and put it in tank ,then wonder why its not eating for you ???? The snake you have wont eat because its in constant fear , you wouldnt eat either. Just because you are human , doesnt give you the right to take things that dont belong to you (ie: wildlife). There a plenty of snake that are captive bred, yes you have to pay money for them, but trust me its worth it...they eat they are healthy with no parasites and you dont look like an ignorant human... sorry if this seems harsh