Honduran Milk easy for a Beginner?

Discussion in 'Other Colubrids' started by xXWylde_ManXx, Oct 12, 2007.

1. xXWylde_ManXx

xXWylde_ManXx Embryo

I was just wondering if a Honduran Milksnake would be good for a beginning herper. I was looking at these ones: http://www.exoticsbynature.com/select_07albinotang.html. I'm really hoping to get an Albino, and preferrably a juvenille. I've owned a couple snakes in the past, but I'm not sure if this species would be easy to take care of. Any ideas?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. gecko94

gecko94 New Member

Don't know much about colubrids, I'm a python and boa guy. but what i do know is that compared to a pueblan milksnake, hondurans get huge. Hondurans i think get around 7 or 8' long. In my opinion if you are going to get an 8' snake you might as well get a Carpet Python or Nicaraguan Dwarf Boa, but hey, that's just my opinion.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Jason_Hood

Jason_Hood Embryo

Re: RE: Honduran Milk easy for a Beginner?

Lil late on this but you are way off. The record hondos are that big but even at that length they are much less snake than any boid. Most hondos average around 4-5 feet with 6 feet being possible with good genes and husbandry but not that common. Hondos over 6 feet and farely rare in captivity though they do exist. The biggest one I have seen is one that Louis Porras had a pic of that Shannon Brown has up on his site and that one was supposed to be over 7 feet.

As for your question on if they are easy to keep?? Yup, pretty easy as long as you don't mind a nip here and there. They calm down around 30 inches. Same general setup as for a corn but bigger.

Jason

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. gecko94

gecko94 New Member

RE: Re: RE: Honduran Milk easy for a Beginner?

Oh, sorry, the website i read said 8 feet being the record, and 6-7 being common. Nevermind then, you obviosly know more than i do... :oops: