Horrible odds...

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by ssscales, Aug 12, 2009.

1. ssscales

ssscales Member

Just cut my 7 egger, Mojave X Normal clutch! Sadly the odd Gods were not with us on this one.... :)
    Only one Normal looking Ball python out of 7 eggs!!... :(

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. lil_shy_aries

lil_shy_aries New Member

hello sccales.
    can you explain to a novice, why it was a disapointment that you only got one normal out of this clutch? I thought the idea of breeding
    exotics were to get the cross breeds , not mormals.
    sorry this confusses me . your info on this would be greatful
    thank you
    shy

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. ssscales

ssscales Member

It was a joke.... :)
    Of course I am super pleased with the odds, normally from this type of pairing you would get 1/2 Mojaves. Out of a 7 egg clutch maube 3-4 should have been Mojaves, but here the odd Gods blessed us with 6 out of 7... :(

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. lil_shy_aries

lil_shy_aries New Member

ssscales
    see sscales i'm a novice when it comes to the different types (BLUSHES) we need a blush ikon ya'll.

could you please show me if you can the difference between a normal and a mojave. I believe I had a mojave and and I was so stupid that I sent it to Odessa Tx. to my nephew. slames head againts the wall. so if you could show me a side by side I can could tell if I made this fatal mistake. even though it was my newphews snake.
    thank you
    shy

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. ssscales

ssscales Member

LOL... :)

Here is a pair of Mojaves:
    [​IMG]

Here is a Normal:
    [​IMG]

Here is a shot of an adult Mojave and a Normal:
    [​IMG]

Appearance in Mojaves can and will vary as with everything. You'll see Mojaves that are more tan, more brown, more blacks, more yellow, dirtier, cleaner. Those are pretty good examples of what I consider nice Mojaves, but as with everything, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Some like more tan, more black, etc, etc. Keep in mind, Mojaves just a few years ago (like many Ball pythons) were $5,000-$10,000ea. I think the first one I saw back in 2004 was $10,000...OUCH!

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. lil_shy_aries

lil_shy_aries New Member

ohhhhhhhhh ssscales.
    can I cry like a baby,thats enough to make a grown person cry ya know. lol.
    I sent my nephew a majave, whaaaaaaa and he was only 13 and it got out. the baby sitters so texas just dont have black gold. it has tan and chocolate gold as well.
    he was a beautiful snake. never seen one that tan. it was cut and dry light tan and the dark was lighter too
    when i went to your site and the others that herps told me about.
    they are awsome new breeds out , I hated to send that one to texas.
    thanks for making my weekend. my dear. lol.
    still say we need a cry ikon on this site lol.
    thank you for your time ssscales.
    you enjoy your weekend.
    shy

12. ssscales

ssscales Member

You'd be surprised at how many of these "special" snakes were sold by unknowing sellers for $30-$50-$100-$200 both in Ball pythons and Boas, that ended up being genetic and worth BIG $$$$$!! Or how two seeming normal looking snakes worth $50ea, have produced snakes that were worth $10,000-$20,000 and much, much, much more when and if you are able to reproduce that "special" snake a few times over. I know one guy who back in 2002/2003 paid $50 for a "different looking" Boa he saw at a Reptile show here in FL that some local hobbyist breeder produced (and obviously did not know what he had), a few month later the buyer who paid $50 for it, sold it for $18,000! It was a T+ Albino Boa!

There are a few of these "lottery" style snake finds and flukes that pop up here and there.