Houdini Crickets ugh

Discussion in 'Feeder Forum' started by Leopardgran, Sep 5, 2013.

1. Leopardgran

Leopardgran New Member

How do you solve the problem of Crickets climbing the wooden viv walls?? My little gecko can't possibly reach them there. Is it just simply a case of 'they'll come back down eventually' or has anyone found a solution to it?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. JoshSnakeman

JoshSnakeman New Member

Try a smooth plastic lower parts of the walls, the crickets cant climb it

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. spaceboy

spaceboy Well-Known Member

How do you feed them to your gecko? Do you just let them run freely in the viv? Personally I feed my lizards one insect at the time with tongs, so I can keep track of how much they eat and make sure no bugs are running around in the viv, pooping, chewing on stuff or biting the lizards. That way there is no problem with them sitting on hard to reach places for your gecko :)

StikyPaws312 likes this.
  6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Leopardgran

Leopardgran New Member

Mmm I let them loose in the viv (about 4-5) :(. I find he doesn't take them from the tongs - he just looks the other way. I've ordered some small Dubia roaches off ebay so hopefully he'll take to those.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Leopardgran

Leopardgran New Member

Could you advise me how to do this please Josh? What sort of plastic & how to attach it? Thanks

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Godzillagecko

Godzillagecko Member

Take hard plastic sorta the same plastic you would find bins made out of. Get some aquarium silicon glue and past it to the viv wall. Let it air out for 2 days or so I believe its 2 days anyway and boom. You got plastic on the walls

12. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

Dubia Roaches will be able to climb too so I would suggest using the plastic method.

13. JoshSnakeman

JoshSnakeman New Member

Sorry guys my computer has been down for a while. If you use a cheap for of poly and glue it to the wood it will work, otherwise I recommend placing the crickets in a slippery Tupperware container. I used a Tupperware container for a while. The lizards get in and out just fine but the crickets don't. Now however, my lizards all come to me when they're hungry and I feed them all by hand. For squirmy crickets I use a small pair of tongs. The recognition between the tongs and food is so strong now that every time my lizards see me hold tongs or anything tong-like they crowd at the spot in the cage where I feed them. I have a method for overly active crickets. If you put them in the fridge they slow down or stop. As they warm up they'll start moving again, but won't be able to escape your gecko.