housing help and other questions

Discussion in 'Uromastyx' started by dale1, Jul 6, 2009.

1. dale1

dale1 Embryo

hi, im new here. i have a baby uro, i belive that he is a uromastyx geyri. he was just sold to me as a uro. any way he is in a 40 gallon tank at the monment and i want to build him a larger cage. i have alot of 1/2" plywood that i can use. would this be an ok materal to use to build him a cage?

also he has a exoterra solar glo 125 watt mercry vapor bulb, it keeps his basking spot at 115 to 120*. is this bulb ok? i have read some bad things about some other bulbs and just want to be sure. he is healty, eats very well and runs around his tank pretty much all day when he is not basking or sleeping. and his colors are nice and orange. thanks for any help

dale

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. bruno

bruno Moderator

Hi Dale,
    Welcome to the forum.
    Do you know if that plywood is for "exterior" or "interior" use. The reason I ask is that exterior is safe, they use a different glue in the making. Interior need to be sealed with a euothane varnish, as the high heat required for uro's can cause it to give off gasses. If you are unsure then varnish it. If you can build a 48x24x24 or bigger that would be great
    Those SolarGlo's are great lamps.
    In the new cage, may have to add a household spot near it to increase the temps slightly up to 130/140.
    Everything sounds Ok if he basking, running round, eating and sleeping.
    We would love to see pics of him.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. dale1

dale1 Embryo

thanks for the info! im glad to hear that he is ok. i will try and get a good pic of him but at the moment i only have one when i first bought him home from the reptile show.

dale

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

got one!

[​IMG]

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. bruno

bruno Moderator

Hi Dale,
    Very nice looking uro you have there.
    One thing I strongly suggest is that being that small it should be kept on solid substrate until it's at least 8" long. Less risk of impaction from loose substrate. After that playsand is the favourite, although there is no reason why it shouldn't stay on solid sub. such as tile, carpet etc.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. dale1

dale1 Embryo

no worrys my friend! he is being kept on paper towls till he gets atleast 1ft. just to be safe! lol

dale