Housing Question

Discussion in 'General Snakes' started by shetealey, Feb 26, 2004.

1. shetealey

shetealey Embryo

I am new to the forum, and I wanted to ask a quick question, I have a ball python that is about 3 ft long now, I was previously looking at buying a young burmese about the same size and when I told them I was wondering about best size housing the place knowing I have my ball said I could just house the two together for a while until the burmese gets to big, since I have my ball in a 50 gallon tank. I wanted to know if this is a good idea at all and if so would it work to house my ball with a colombian boa? Thank you for any help you give.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. stormyva

stormyva Well-Known Member

Housing snakes together is a bad idea!
    The snakes have different husbandry requirements, if one gets sick they both will, and snakes are not social animals and can become stressed if they have cage mates.
    Best rule of thumb.... if you dont have or cant afford to house them separate then wait until you can.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

Please don't house those snakes together. You really don't want to be stuck with parasites/disease and/or fighting between different species. Besides, a 50 gallon tank wouldn't be big enough for the two of them anyways. Like stormy said, if you can't afford separate enclosures right now, wait until you can. It'll be best for the snakes and easier for you.