How did YOU tame your Leo's?

Discussion in 'Leopard Geckos' started by Tim3skimo, Aug 3, 2013.

1. Tim3skimo

Tim3skimo New Member

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

It can take some time and patience. Also, most herps are naturally a bit flighty and defensive when they are young. In many cases, a laid-back personality begins to develop once the animal hits adulthood.

My leo would hide all day and at the sight of me would begin showing fear and try to get away when it was a baby. After a couple of years, it got to the point where my leo would be out and about frequently and allowed me to scoop him up without any complaint... as he became older and more confident, and as he became used to his enclosure, me, and our routines (which can take time), he became more inquisitive and willing to show himself and allow me to handle him with frequency.

Take baby steps - simply changing water every day and feeding will slowly help to build a relationship that connects you to the food/water source. Try hand feeding and offering treats (like waxworms) by hand; especially if you can get the gecko out of the enclosure to associate treats with being handled.

As for handling - start out with just leaving a flat palm in the enclosure while the gecko is out during feeding or some other activity. Then graduate into trying to encourage the gecko to walk onto the hand. You don't even have to take the gecko out of the enclosure, just let him sit in your palm for a moment then carry on to do other gecko things.

Ultimately, it is up to the gecko. Juveniles may require more time and effort to become 'tame' than we'd like, but with time I think you will find that your gecko will become quite calm. A combination of aging, getting used to you and the environment, and working with the gecko will help to tame your leo. They are all individuals with their own unique personalities: some are chill from the get-go, others live a life of eternal fear, but the vast majority can be taught to calm down and tolerate handling with patience.

Tim3skimo likes this.
  4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Tim3skimo

Tim3skimo New Member

She's very calm and walks up to my hand, so I think she will be a pretty melo gecko one day :)

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. tokaygirl55

tokaygirl55 New Member

Leopard geckos are very sweet and easy to tame I think. Mine will usually fall asleep on my stomach and lay there for an hour or two. Just handle them regularly and gently and they'll get used to you.