How do I gutload my meal worms?

Discussion in 'Leopard Geckos' started by Dephos, Oct 12, 2013.

1. Dephos

Dephos Embryo

What do you do with the meal worms when you bring them home? If i buy 100 meal worms and i come home do i instantly throw all of them into the gut load container or do i put them in the fridge and gut load them every time i feed my leopard gecko? Can i just throw all of them in the gut load container and wait 24 hours then put them in the fridge and i will be set for the 100 meal worms?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Godzillagecko

Godzillagecko Member

Take the amount you feed your gecko out first and let them feed on the gutload. Then put them in a bowl and put them in the tank. Though Superworms are a better staple than Mealworms. And don't need to be refrigerated. Just keep them in a bin together. They won't turn to pupae if they have others around them. What are you gut loading with? I usually use fresh veggies like carrots and kale with some of the gecko's own vitamins powdered over it.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Dephos

Dephos Embryo

But my meal worms keep dying in the fridge :( ??

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Godzillagecko

Godzillagecko Member

How cold is the fridge. anything lower than 55 F is to cold for meal worms. You should switch to Superworms since they have more meat on them and are easier to keep. My Leo loves her super worms. She'll readily take em from my hand and keeps her rather happy. Meal worms have hardly any meat substance to them but they are cheap and easy to just throw into a food bowl and keep cooled. The temp in your fridge should be no higher than 65F and no lower than 55 F.

Dephos likes this.
  8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Dephos

Dephos Embryo

Can i feed my leopard gecko on mainly superworms? then sometimes crickets and mealworms?

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Godzillagecko

Godzillagecko Member

Wouldnt need mealworms if you use Superworms. Crickets and Superworms make a good staple.

Dephos likes this.