How do I start to tame and handle my leopard gecko?

Discussion in 'General Geckos' started by Tim3skimo, Jul 28, 2013.

1. Tim3skimo

Tim3skimo New Member

I have had her for 2 weeks now and she's 2 months old, she's already much better than she was when I got her :) Her name is Lily for now...

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Cammy

Cammy ReptileBoards Addict

I usually recommend starting by handling inside the cage. Let the gecko walk across your hand and get used to being lifted a few cm off the ground. Never grab her by her tail or from above like a claw machine; always approach from the front or side and gently slide your hand under her like a lizard pancake spatula. Once she is good with that, you can work on handling outside of the cage. Let her climb all over you to let her get used to keeping her footing and realizing you are not a threat. Handle her a little bit each day. With frequent handling she should tame rather easily. Leopard geckos tend to be pretty receptive to handling and may even hunker down under a shirt collar while you go about your business.

JEFFREH likes this.
  4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Tim3skimo

Tim3skimo New Member

Thanks Cammy! So she probably wants to investigate my hand? She gets super curious. I have handled ferrets, fancy rats, hundreds of hamsters, guinea pigs, birds, cheetahs, vultures, corn snakes, rabbits, well all sorts of pets and animals! But somehow I fear handling her for the first time :)

Wooh it's 05:30 here so it's Kim's exploring time now, I had my hand in and she moved to it but when she got really close I slowly took it out....I have no idea if she will bite me or freak out or something.... She doesn't seem scared, my biggest worry is that she might think my fingers are worms! :p

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

If she does happen to bite you it doesn't hurt, it's just startling. Keep your hand in there and let her sniff and walk on it and eventually pick her up off the cage floor a bit and eventually she'll be used to you. Good luck!

JEFFREH likes this.
  8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. HerpetologyLover

HerpetologyLover New Member

Wow, so its that easy? Does this method work for bearded dragons as well?

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

Uh, depending on how large your beardie is... the bites might actually hurt, lol. But yes, the method is the same, but I've only ever used it on young beardies...