How do you keep your snakes?

Discussion in 'General Snakes' started by Janice, Jul 5, 2005.

1. Janice

Janice ReptileBoards Addict

For those of you with more than one snake, what do you keep them in. I have 2 snakes, a ball python in the living room, and a corn snake in our bedroom. I am thinking about getting another ball python, and a rat snake, but my hubby doesn't want our house looking like an underground petshop, LOL. I was just wondering where in your house you have your snakes, and what do you keep them in?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Joy

Joy New Member

Now that my children are grown and out of the house most of our animals are in their old rooms. The bp is in my daughters old room and the maclot is in my sons old room.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Janice

And Joy, are they in aquarium type enclosures?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. tjhallock

tjhallock Member

I have a Chondro, and RTB both in my room. We are almost done with a rack, and soon to possibly get another gtp. They are in a custom enclosure and I'll get pics asap.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Joy

Joy New Member

Janice, The bp is in an aquarium and the maclot is in a custom wood and glass cage he came with as a rescue.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Janice

Thanks, TJ. I am wanting to get away from the tank thing.

12. shrap

shrap ReptileBoards Addict

Hey Janice,

You do have a couple of options. Granted they are a little pricey. One would be a rack system. The other, plastic caging like Boaphiles. Both have their pros and cons depending on your situation. They both look nice though.

Check out Boaphiles site to get an idea what some of the caging companies are making now a days. I think it is pretty cool.

Here is a link to the cages I currently use. All of my yearling/adults are housed in these. The stack pictured are four feet by two feet cages, mine are only three by two. Perfect for adult Balls. Other than that my stacks look identical to the picture. http://www.boaphileplastics.com/cage_packages.html

Also, check out what they are doing here. This is my next purchase, when I get a break and actually have time to deal with moving all my Leos into it. The fist link is it by itself and info, the second link is the unit on top of a stack of mixed models. These cages are like Legos!!!! You can truly set up a nice, relatively customized multi unit enclosure.

http://www.boaphileplastics.com/421condo.html

http://www.boaphileplastics.com/

13. Janice

Well...they don't look so bad, do they? I have been thinking about getting custom enclosures, and wanted your opinions on these. I am thinking about the 3 high, 2 of them, and would be using one for snakes, and puting leos and one more snake in the second. I would love 2 matching pieces, Sampson already has a beautiful enclosure, but that was when we were only going to be owning one snake, LOL. Hers's the link. http://www.habitarium.net/products.html

14. garybingham

garybingham Member

Janice, i have 2 corns now in 6x2x2 foot tanks with sliding doors on a custom rack and one with 2 tanks at 2x2x2 foot and a 4x2x2 foot tank with sliding doors aswell

15. garybingham

garybingham Member

the rack with 3 tanks on it are all empty at the minite i am looking to fill them soon as they were all given to me as old fish tanks with some fine wire mesh and new doors i made them frount opening i am looking for a hatchling common boa at the moment but cant find 1 dont worry i will keep looking

16. garybingham

garybingham Member

P.S there are all in my spare room

17. commonboa

commonboa Embryo

Gary: i am looking for a hatchling common boa at the moment but cant find 1

go to reptilemax.com $45 $15 s/h

18. garybingham

garybingham Member

commonboa, is that in the uk cos thats were i live

19. wideglide

wideglide Well-Known Member

I've got a combination of things that will eventually all be replaced by boaphiles. Both my blood and my ball are currently in boaphiles, my Western hognose, Cali. king and Milksnake are all currently in 10 gal. aquariums.

20. Janice

I wanted to go with the habitarium, because a) I'm in Canada, and :) I will be keeping them in my living room.

21. wideglide

wideglide Well-Known Member

They've got some nice looking stuff there.

22. Leatherface

Leatherface Embryo

If you are handy with wood or can at least operate a hand saw and a screwdriver (and ya got a friend that has a screwdriver) you can prolly make a cage similar to the one pictured on Boaphile...

It is 3x2 right?

Only downside is weight...instead of plastic, ya make them out of melamine and wood...And that is a bit heavier...

Prolly stack 2-3 instead of 5

BUT for 5 of them ya might spend around $500.00 instead of $1,700 and they look great...I am in the process of trying to get my bud to design me a coffeetable/snake cage... :D

Yuppers I am a cheapskate!!

Dont know if it is kewl to post the link to the site so PM me if ya want it