How hard would it be to...

Discussion in 'Enclosures, Heating & Lighting' started by Reid, Dec 10, 2011.

1. Reid

Reid Banned

Take my current tank, which is a 20 long, and add sliding glass doors or screen doors to it. Maybe not even sliding, just hinged. I know they sell these types of tanks, but the one at my store is 130$ x.x That's a lot, and I JUST got my new 20 long.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

I'm actually in the car right now but when I get back to the office on monday I will try to find my instructions on building a hinged door for a 20gal long tank. Just off the top of my head the basics are that you will have to turn the tank on its side so the opening is in the front, if thats what you would like to do. I had purchased thin 1/2 inch molding strips of wood, finishing nails, a small roll of plastic screen, staples, gorilla glue, hinges and a clasp/lock. If you'd like to purchase the parts this weekend make sure you measure the dimensions of the tank so you purchase enough wood.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Reid

Reid Banned

Okay, I see what you mean. I saw a picture of it somewhere on this forum. Wouldn't it cause an issue with the light bulbs sitting on glass, though? Or do you have some magical way of avoiding that?
    And is there a way we could text or something, in case I need more help on this?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

Ok so apparently I never wrote down the instructions as I had intended last time I made one. Basically you have to measure the inside lip of the plastic top rim of the 20gal tank. I can only find the outside dimension online right now, which are: 20 Long tank = 30 1/4" L x12 1/2" W x12 3/4" H
    The only dimensions you will need are the length and width. Added all together is a total of 85.5 inches of wood. You can purchase simple 97 cent lattice fill piece that's 8ft long. Here's a link. (I used the lattice fill in on the sides and a more expensive oak trim from the molding section because I wanted the rigidity of oak versus pine, as well as for the look :)) Then you should pick up Gorilla Glue and little clamps (if you don't have some already), 2 small hindges and 1-2 small clasps or locks and a small roll of plastic screening, and staples/staple gun if you don't have one. All you have to do is cut the wood into the lengths that you measured, make sure they fit INSIDE the lip of the tank, then glue or nail them together with finishing nails. Once the frame is nailed together make sure it fits again, then let it dry if you glued it. Then you can attach the screening on the inside with staples (make sure you staple it very close together so your gecko can't escape out any holes!)

Anyway, hope that helped a little. Here is a photo of one of mine - it's an older photo and the hindges aren't on there but it's the basic concept that you can see...
    [​IMG]