How is buying crested geckos online?..

Discussion in 'Rhacodactylus (Crested) Geckos' started by ajlista, Aug 13, 2010.

1. ajlista

ajlista Well-Known Member

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Geckonator

Geckonator Embryo

My opinion is: you get what you pay for. With a cheap price you have to expect potentially bad results. I have heard of Geckos dropping their tails during shipping before (wouldn't you?), so there is a risk you could find yourself with a tail-less Crestie and it won't grow back..EVER. As to the tank....I would recommend something bigger for an adult, 20 Gal high or bigger, with lots of places to hide and climb...be sure that there are a couple of places with lots of shade (seeing as Cresties have no eye-lids and can only contract their pupils they like to sleep in relatively shady areas.) another way of purchasing a gecko if you want to do it online is doing it directly from a breeder (THIS can get expensive) if that's an issue, I've noticed alot of people on this forum are from around NY or NJ so they'd probably be able to give you some advice on more local sources.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. ajlista

I wouldnt mind a dropped tail, and im not gunnna have a ton of money to spend, obviously i wouldnt want the gecko to go through the stress of dropping his tail, but in the long run when hes all nice and better, i think a stubby crestie's kidna cute, Lol, but by no means do i want it to drop its tail, and thanks for the info on the tank, ill look into a bigger one and post a link on this thread,
    Thanks,
    Anthony

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

Just fyi while you are looking for a tank - try to stay away from a screen tank for cresties - they require high humidity and in the NY/NJ area it is easy in the summer to keep the humidity that high but in the winter it goes down to 20% or lower and they can have a lot of problems shedding... Look for a 20g long glass tank and put it on it's side so it's taller rather than wider and opens in the front. The exo-terra or zoo-med tanks are awesome but they're really expensive (especially the shipping if you're going to order online b/c they are so heavy).

As far as shipping geckos that's how I have gotten almost every single one of my geckos! The good breeders know how to package them perfectly and will look at the weather and make sure of the temps the whole way and properly label the boxes. I remember when I shipped my 1st hatchling leo - I was SO nervous, but I had gotten enough reptiles in the mail that I knew how to properly package them. They may be a bit more stressed than if you had just gone to a reptile show or pet shop but if you buy from a breeder than you know exactly what you will be getting.

I try to stay away from large reptile supply shops that sell reptiles too (like reptiledepot and lllreptile) because you are just going to get whatever crested the shipping guy felt like taking out of the cage that day - they don't really differentiate morphs, just size (unless they have something special like a full pinstripe or something). I personally feel that even though you may be spending a couple more dollars in the end, getting any reptile from a specific breeder and picking your reptile out and even asking questions about it (like what is their feeding schedule, what do they eat, what kind of gutload do you use, what do you dust their feeders with and how often?) things like that.... it's a breeder that can and will take the time to answer any question you have that is the one I want to purchase an animal from.

anyway, that's just my 2 cents on purchasing a new reptile... good luck!

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. ajlista

thanks, AGAIN xD after reading that, i think im deffienetly not ordering online, cause i thought about it, yea.. i do wanna talk to the breeder, find a nice healthy one i like, and be able to talk to the breeder first hand
    Thanks again
    Anthony :(