how long can I keep brother and sister together for?

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by Ozwall, Jul 20, 2005.

1. Ozwall

Ozwall Embryo

haha mind you theres always Suffolk and Norfolk B)

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. kephy

kephy Moderator

Ok lets keep this on topic. No more insults or inbred comments or I'm gonna have to start editing posts and sending out warnings, and I don't wanna do that. B) Lets drop that subject and keep this about lizards.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. wlowell05

wlowell05 Member

i'm sorry i caused such an uprising. i was just referring to the past and whats said in history books, hence the egyptian comment. i apologize sincerly!!! i honestly didnt mean to cause an issue.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. ReptileCrazy

ReptileCrazy Well-Known Member

Lol. Back on topic guys!

I commend you on deciding not to get a second beardie. Beardies really aren't like people, and in truth we usually do way more harm than good by putting them together. Not just inbreeding but disease, competition for food, stress and stress related diseases. Iusually have a long insert that discusses all the reasons why beardies should be housed singally that i paste in here when i see this question. But since you have already decided against it i guess there is no need

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. CheriS

CheriS Is well known here

Aww, last I checked it was some of the southern states that had problems with inbreeding, not the Britist, in fact it was the british that rasied such a scream when the Southern singer Jerry Lee Lewis went to England to perform and took his 13 year old cousin he married with him!!

From his BIO:
    Anyway, I was reading this thread and about fell over.... glad Kephy caught that..... one of the biggest concerns and problems in the US and Europe right now with this species is the limited gene pool is creating inbreeding within the 5th generation and that has problems..... GAWDS, to breed brother to sister would be really dangerous.

Also it does NOT take alot of incest, it takes once. That is constantly proved in humans when a young girl gives birth to a child with common defects seen in inbreeding without naming a father..... beleive me, social workers first off look at the father and request DNA tests..... it happens

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Shamrock77

Shamrock77 Embryo

Wow, how mature is it to say 'eww' at Inbreeding animals? Anyway I have a brother and a sister bearded dragon that have not been seperated at all, they've always had each other. They don't try to dominate each other - they just leave each other alone really. They are about twelve weeks old now and I plan on breeding my female 'Clover' at age 2 or a little bit older (obviously not with Nero - her brother).

But yes, don't let them mate because of the gene pool, you want normal happy healthy babies. Don't take it so seriously as not to select another Beardie from the same country though - How stupid is that?

Good luck with your beardies, I love mine so much :)