how many crickets?

Discussion in 'Rhacodactylus (Crested) Geckos' started by crestedreptile546, Jun 25, 2005.

1. crestedreptile546

crestedreptile546 New Member

i just go tmy first crested gecko yesterday and i've been reading on the and researching for months and every were i read i get different numbers and i was wondering how many crickets should i feed my 6 week old crested gecko how many times a week, and i'm pretty sure they eat pinhead crickets (the baby crested geckos)

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Sobedrummer007

Sobedrummer007 New Member

I noticed in your other post that you are feeding CGD, if your crestie is eating it then you should only feed like once a week to give him exercise and variety in his diet.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. field_hockey_gal

field_hockey_gal Well-Known Member

I got my Crestie when she was 6 weeks old, and we feed her 2 week old crickets. The breeder I got her from told me that you just throw in 10-15 (there are two cresties in one cage). The gecko will eat as many as s/he wants and will ignore the rest. Crickets can't climb, so during the day if there are crickeys left in the enclosure my gecko (that usually sleps on the floor) will sleep up in her vine. As long as there is baby food, chunks of fruit etc. the cricket won't try eating your gecko. And the next night s/he can eat leftovers!
    Hope that helps

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

If the crickets are of appropriate size they will usually eat anywhere between 4-15 crickets a feeding. Personally, I would feed insects 2-3 times a week for babies and once weekly for adults. The babies enjoy eating them, good exercise, and they need protein. Once they get close to adulthood, most will lose interest in crickets and become lazy.

Take my male for example, hes 2 years old and its difficult getting crickets into him. Even right in front of him he just looks at it like "is this a joke?". He's lazy.My 6-7 month old female would eat crickets 24/7 if she could. I'm pretty sure she likes crickets and silkies better than fruit or CGD. :D
    Just make sure they are gutloaded :wink: Crickets that arent gutloaded have the nutrition equivalent to cardboard.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Sobedrummer007

Sobedrummer007 New Member

Crix can climb and can nibble on the gecko if there is babyfood left on the mouth that is uneaten. It is best to remove the crickets.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Lizardo

Lizardo New Member

My 5 month old likes 4 crickets a day, and every other day will eat some baby food with cgd, but still likes 2-3 crickets, acts like he's having fun

12. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Are the crickets the right size and are you giving him as much as he wants in a sitting? Make sure they are smaller than the space between their eyes.

My female will usually eat 5-12 crickets a sitting and my male used to eat up to 20 on good days (usually more like 7-15 ish).

13. VAherper

VAherper Member

As many as they eat in about 4 hours is what i do. I pop about 10 ish in and if there gone in an hour, another 3-4 go in, etc. until crickets are left over.
    -Richard

14. crestedreptile546

i actually haven't fed it any crickets yet because i got it yesterday, but i'm going today to get some crickets and i was wondering about how much would my 6 week old crested gecko eat in a week?

15. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

If they are the right size probably 15-30 a week ish.

16. crestedreptile546