how to feed anoles?

Discussion in 'Anoles' started by JJ., Aug 12, 2012.

?

how to feed anoles

1. .

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. .

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. JJ.

JJ. New Member

So i currently have 1 Bahama anole who i feed crickets (living) the only thing is i never see her eat the crickets but they disappears from her habitat so i wanted to know if they eat at night. And i feed her 4 a day am i doing this correctly and should i feed her meal worms occasionally?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Hey there JJ, welcome to the boards = )

You are going to want to avoid feeding too many mealworms as they aren't remarkably nutritious and also have a pretty hard to digest chitanous shell. They are okay on occasion as a snack for variety, but the best staple feeders for your anole will be crickets, feeder roaches, silkworms, and phoenix worms (aka soldier grubs, or calci-worms).

One suggestion I have for feeding is bowl feeding - get yourself a nice glass bowl like a custard cup or large, deeper than average ash tray. The crickets are not intelligent enough to jump out, and will try relentlessly to climb up the smooth sides without prevail. This will allow your anole to easily spot the prey and catch them with ease.

To make things even easier, you can also pinch the back legs of the crickets right in the "thigh" region. This results in the jumping legs either falling off or remaining as dead weight to the cricket. That way, the anole can easily hunt them down in the bowl without fear of them jumping out after being startled by the strike.

Hope this helps some!

lizardgurl87 likes this.
  4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. lizardgurl87

lizardgurl87 HOTM Winner April

Well, I have a green anole and I'm pretty sure they're the same as far as care and everything. They shouldn't eat at night much, since they're diurnal and you should be able to find them always sleeping at night. He could be eating and you just might not see her, especially if you're not there observing him. I don't always see mine eat and they can do it rather sneakily and fast.
    If the crickets are gone, she most likely is eating, if you want to see him eat-you just have to watch her, it may take awhile, but it can be entertaining and you pretty much know when they see the food, since they "lock on" with they're eyes and chase it down usually.

Could you try to give us some more info on her too? Maybe some pictures of her and her setup, or if you can't do that, at least describing it could help us help you more :)
    And about how old do you think she is? Is she younger or more full grown you think?
    Feeding every day isn't really needed, you can do every few days-whatever ends up working for you.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. JJ.

JJ. New Member

I'll try to take some pictures for you guys but i got her from a pet smart the employee didn't say how old she is but today she surprised me by flashing a big red dewlap so she is now a he :D

lizardgurl87 likes this.
  8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. JJ.

JJ. New Member

[​IMG]

don't know if the picture will load ):

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. lizardgurl87

Well, I see him as your profile picture, though that picture didn't load-I have found it easiest to post them to Facebook and then copy and paste them to here-If you don't have a FB or don't want to post them on there, you can make a photobucket, Flickr, or the like and upload, then copy and paste from there.

He is nice looking, but could you at least try to describe his size(approximate snout to vent length)and his enclosure better. Hopefully I helped you with uploading pictues easier too.

12. JJ.

JJ. New Member

ok i'll try to take a few more pictures of him and his tank but i can only give you a approx. on his length from head to tail because i doubt i'll be able to catch him to measure him :|

13. JJ.

JJ. New Member

[​IMG]
    this is his cage its a 20 gal. 24 inches X12 X18 you can see him there on his branch :D
    and shadowfax (my anole) is about 5-6 inches long and i;m getting a female and a tree frog to go in there i'll post more pictures when i get them. but do you think i should get another plant or climbing piece for the tree frog?

lizardgurl87 likes this.
  14. lizardgurl87

It actually looks like it will work pretty well for the tree frog! :) It's good you have the water dish, since she'll need it to soak and you'll have to change it out more. Though, anoles don't need a water dish anyways, but I've always had one in case and I need it now with the frogs. But, anoles rarely use them and are much more likely to drink water droplets and the plants from misting-so, that's another reason to mist often.
    It is nice, I wasn't sure if it was a normal 20G long, but it's much better that's it's a tall! I'm sure the frog will love sitting on that log when you get her. If you want you can always add more plants, you have room and more is better, though it will due as is. I have one of those repti hammock things too that they like.

And from the lighting-it looks like you already have a night heat light that's infared. The other looks like a basking, which is good, but are you sure you have a UVB? A normal basking is not UVB. And usually, UVB will not fit in normal fixtures like that, I know from experience lol
    I use coiled UVB's-a 5.0 and they need a special fixture, since they're usually longer than the normal heat bulbs I've found and won't fit in normal ones. Though, they may fit in a deep-dome fixture.
    [​IMG]
    These are the kind I use(the 5.0, you could do 2.0, but it might not be enough, the frogs don't necessarily need it, but it doesn't hurt)And you'd want a bigger one-the 26Watt.
    [​IMG]This is the fixture I have, that's made for them, but one of these
    should work too:
    [​IMG]
    And they have the long UVB, I don't use it, since my tank isn't that wide, but you probably could:
    [​IMG]and my friend has this kind that comes built into a fixture:
    [​IMG]
    Well, sorry for the long post with the pictures :p I'm just trying to inform you on all the lighting and everything needed to keep your guys healthy and I know when I was new to this last year, I was confused! Though, you said you have a UVB, I just wanted to tell you this anyways so you knew just what they were(I didn't see one in the picture either). I got a starter kit too for them and it didn't come with one, just a basking and night heat light. Even if you do have one, you need to replace them every year-they are sort of expensive, but it's needed, since they can use their effect over a year.

Well, hope I helped! And cool name for your anole! Is it supposed to be Shadowfax or is it Shadowfox? Either way, it's creative! :)

15. JJ.

JJ. New Member

the name when i thought he was female was umbra witch is Italian for shadow then i found out it was male and i changed it to shadowfax

lizardgurl87 likes this.
  16. lizardgurl87

Well, I know Umbra means shadow, since it's part of an eclipse(the darkest spot wear you can view it best)and we learned it in Science last year lol. But, cool name. I think Umbra is still a good name, regardless of the gender though.

And what about your UVB light? Do you have one or are getting one?

17. JJ.

JJ. New Member

Yeah the heat light also acts as a UVB bulb. Also I feed him 2-4 crickets a day that is ok right?

18. lizardgurl87

Well, if he eats that many a day, I suppose it's okay. But, it's usually said every few days, though 2 a day isn't too bad, 4 a day seems a little much. It also depends if they are pretty small crickets or bigger ones, they are more filling, since there's more of course. And how often do you coat them and what do you coat them with?

I'm sorry, but can you tell me exactly like what brand and wattage the bulb is then? You say you have a 20G tank, right? The only kind of heat light with UVB is a mercury vapor and they produce a lot of heat and light. A 20G is the minimum size of a tank to use with mercury vapor bulbs, since I'm pretty sure the lowest wattage of them is still around 100. I just want to be sure, sorry I'm nagging, but I want whats best for your little guys and I want to help you to help them, okay? :)
    I know there are a lot of questions, but they all help us help when you answer them nicely. It could seem like school in some ways I guess, but I enjoy writing and reading and in a way it's practice for school starting soon(I start Wednesday).
    Sorry if you felt like I'm yelling at you or something and I probably repeated myself a few times, I just have issues sometimes lol-anyways, we're probably around the same age from what you seem like, I'm in my teens.

19. JJ.

JJ. New Member

I got my lizard from out of town because my town doesn't have a pet shop. I also got my first batch of crickets from the same store they where a little small so I was feeding him four a day and he was eating them. But there is a local shop that sells pet food only and they recently started selling reptile food so now I buy my crickets from them, but there crickets are a considerable amount larger so I started feeding him two a day and once a weak I coat them with Flukers calcium supplement. I have no idea what brand the lights are I just know that I have a inferred 100 watt for the day time and a 75 watt for night time. I'll try to find a few pictures of the lights online for more information.

lizardgurl87 likes this.
  20. lizardgurl87

Alright, that's good :) It sounds like you care about your guy and all, I know it can be hard to get the stuff-I live in the country and we can't always make weekly trips to a bigger town with a petshop(usually 30miles away or more). You may want to try to get a vitamin supplement too, I use this kind:
    [​IMG]
    there are different brands of course and you don't use this as often as you do the calcium. I myself actually need to get a new one, since the lid wasn't screwed on tight enough and it got bugs in it :confused: lol, so make sure you screw the lids on tight! :)