How to make a CO2 chamber for prekill and freezing mice

Discussion in 'Feeder Forum' started by jimmer488, Aug 5, 2005.

1. jimmer488

jimmer488 New Member

has anyone made a gass chainber, how is it done.
    What is the quickest most efficent way of
    killing lots of mice.
    jimmer

p.s. sorry for the large bump up

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Keno

Keno New Member

Just put them alive in the freezer.

Grtz Keno.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. shrap

shrap ReptileBoards Addict

Do not just freeze them alive. That is not a humane way to do it. It is slow and it is painful.

I made my gas chamber out of 3 components.

One of these: CO2 Tank

Once of these: A Coil Remote Hose

And a Sterilite or rubbermaid tub appropriately sized for the amount of rodents you will be wanting to gas at one time.

Basically all you do is hook the Remote Hose up to the tank. It just screws on. Then you take the other end of the Remote Hose and hook it to the plastic tub.

To hook up the Hose to the tub I drilled a hole just big enough in the tub for the Hose to fit. Then used some silicone to fill the gaps around the Hose.

And there you have a very effective and humane way to euthanize you rodents.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. jono12

jono12 New Member

screwdriver to the back of the head was my prefered method of taking care of the mice. If you dont have experience doing this it might not be the most humane way, and even messy, but when i hit them it was quick.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. jimmer488

jimmer488 New Member

how do I make a gas chainber out of one of those small c02 tanks for cheep.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Blinga04

Blinga04 Well-Known Member

are you talking about the small c02 tanks used for paintball guns? if so, that's not enough c02.. you need one of the tanks such as shrap posted..

12. Elfmaze

Elfmaze Embryo

i made my tank out of a oil drain chamber from kmart. one of those black things with the screeen top and a drain on the side. screwed in a 12 gram co2 cracker into the side drain and put the rat in thru the top. usually takes one co2 to knock them out, they drop in about 5-10 seconds. then i crack the second one and the'll stop breathing in about 2-5 mins.

13. Janice

Janice ReptileBoards Addict

The one Shrap posted is a Paintball CO2 tank.

14. lazyboy14

lazyboy14 Embryo

jus stick em in a freezer, saves money and time, who cares about mice anyway

15. Janice

That's a bit harsh....As previously stated that is a slow and inhumane death.

16. ecko_996

ecko_996 Member

Lazyboy i would suggest you mind your manners and keep your rude and also illegal activities to your self and off our forum thank you!

I think that what Blinga thought he ment was one of the small one use CO2 powerlet's. What you need is what shrap linked to a refilable CO2 tank.

Bradon

17. jarrell

jarrell New Member

its illegal to frezze mice

18. Janice

jarrell, ??? Do you mean freezing live mice, or freezing them in general?

19. General48

General48 Member

wanna talk about a slow and painful death... ever fed your snakes live thats worse then freezing. but seriously you shouldnt just freeze them

20. ecko_996

ecko_996 Member

Well General most people would strongly suggest against feeding live prey to a snake due to the fact that the snake could be scratched or bitten during the kill I know some fussy snakes that will only eat live and these need to be watched closely durign feedings. As for freezing live mice and rats yes depending on where you live this is against the law its called animal cruelty, I know where i am it is against the law to cause the death of an animal in any way other than a humane and ethical manner.

Bradon

21. Rocky

Rocky Member

I know that feeding a snake live is slow and painful but I didnt know it was worse then freezing them alive. I dont do any of these I am just saying. I feed Jewel (bp) pre killed. I just take the mouse by the tail and give it a quick whip so it is fast. I would like to how ever, make a gas chamber and just do that instead. Does anyone have pics of their gas chambers? If I do make one I wont be making it for at least a month or two. How long does it take for them to die when put in? Do I feed the snake right after or do I wait a bit?

22. shrap

shrap ReptileBoards Addict

Yeah I feed live rats to my snakes every week. Rat is dead inside of 2 minutes when a snake constricts it. Freezer can take 30 minutes or more. So please quit trying to pass off an opinion as fact, General48. Because you are way off base on that one.

23. General48

General48 Member

i never said it was worse!!! please show me where i typed that... this always happens i type something and it gets taken out of context!!! sorry it just makes me mad sometimes it was only a joke

24. Rocky

Rocky Member

Not to start any trouble...this is where you wrote that.

25. General48

General48 Member

o thanks for pointing that out i did not mean to type that!!! i apologize to you and shrap. But seriously would you rather freeze to death or be constrcited by a GIANT SNAKE AND FEEL YOUR BONES SNAP?