Huge Rattler

Discussion in 'General Snakes' started by irishdevil, Mar 14, 2006.

1. irishdevil

irishdevil New Member

[​IMG]

This picture was sent to me by my mother in law. It was found here in North Carolina. Here is the info.

THEY GROW 'EM BIG IN N. CAROLINA

This snake was recently found at the old Turkey Creek located just
    south
    of BURGAW, N.C.-- 20 MILE NORTH OF WILMINGTON

(Embedded image moved to file: pic15573.jpg)

A reminder that these creatures are actually out there and no matter

what you believe, sometimes they should get not only prescriptive

rights to be there but the full right of way!

9 feet, 1 inch - 97 lbs.

No matter what anybody else tells you, kill the snake before you try to
    do
    anything else to it!

It's the safest way for you and the snake doesn't care anymore

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. CornyGuy

CornyGuy Well-Known Member

Wow, is that an eastern Rattler? Very cool, he's a giant. But, so unfortunate people kill it.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Skunky

Skunky Well-Known Member

Sh*t!! Is that real??? Surely that's a doctored pic?

Snake looks much longer than the snake-hook he's using..should be able to tag the guy pretty easily.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. HerpboyNY

HerpboyNY New Member

97 pound, no way! 9.7 maybe. I also highly bet this is just a parody. Some people thought it would be fun to take a photo of the dead snake and when they took it they realized that the angle made it look a lot bigger. I do wish they got the rest of the rattle in the photo.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. irishdevil

irishdevil New Member

I' trying to find out more about it. I live in NC so trying to find out who to talk to and find out if accuate or not should not be too hard if someone thought to document it. But we do grow them big here.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. HadesBP18

HadesBP18 Member

Wow, that was the biggest rattler I've ever seen! 97 lbs. does seem like a stretch though. Such an amazing animal, it definitely is a shame.

12. Skunky

Skunky Well-Known Member

There's just no way that snake weighs 97pounds, that's the weight of a thin adult!! Camera tricks I tell you :D

13. diablo17

diablo17 Member

that can't be real... that thing is way too big and even if there was a rattler that size it sure as heck wouldn't weigh 97 pounds. heck, that dude holding probably weighs 150, and he sure doesn't look like a guy who can hold 2/3 of his own weight like that with hardly any effort and a smile. that's gotta be a fake.

14. Ash19

Ash19 Well-Known Member

That's certainly a very big rattler but I agree. It can not weigh 97lbs. My DOG weighs 36lbs. There's just no way. 9.7lbs sounds more like it. Too bad it's dead. I don't believe in killing them when you see them. Let it be and go on your way.

15. _500

_500 New Member

ya that dude sure doesnt look like hes holdin up 100 lbs in that pic. whats the norm for a rattler like that? 6 ft tops?

16. irishdevil

irishdevil New Member

Still trying to get more info but I agree there is a typo somewhere in the article. I going to the natrual sicene center tomorrow because they have a huge rattler there alooks to be about the same ize as the one in the pic. If I get his weight than maybe I can get a better idea of how much that one could weigh. And I will get pics of the other snake as well so all can do comparison.

17. bluesquirrely4

bluesquirrely4 Member

IT cant be that much, i have a 15 footer i dont think even weighs that much. now she is not one to sit on a scale but i know that she is huge. she came off her shelf and landed on the rabbit, smashing its skull and poping the eyes. i know BIG.

18. Ash19

Ash19 Well-Known Member

Do you have pics of your burm bluesquirrely?

19. bluesquirrely4

bluesquirrely4 Member

yeah there are some in the other python and the photo forum.

20. tjhallock

tjhallock Member

WOW. O_O

21. iloveherps

iloveherps Member

The record according to the lone star field guide is 8' 3" With a waight of some thing like 10lbs. Not 9ft with 90lbs. lol

22. reako45

reako45 Member

Size aside, it's a pity that with all the technology and knowledge available to us today that there are those among us who still behave in a barbaric fashion towards these animals that would rather live us alone.

reako45

23. JerryGFish

JerryGFish New Member

24. Kingetula

Kingetula New Member

wow, what a shame they had to kill it. You don't find big ones like that anymore.

25. Samael

Samael New Member

that is a big rattler, sound slike a parody article though, kill it first no one would dare print that in a newspaper, and the 97 punds doesn't sound right, unless maybe it just at a 30lb dog? but i think they can get that big CAN, but not usually that one is a giant. like the alligator in florida that was huge, or how sometimes something gets bigger than it should.