Humane Society

Discussion in 'General Discussion and Introductions' started by shroomhead, Aug 28, 2006.

1. shroomhead

shroomhead New Member

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. colinu

colinu New Member

It not that their are outright lying. They are however ignoring people like the ones here who care about reptiles and their well being. If you really think this is a misrepresentation I suggest writing up a letter to the humane society and getting people here to sign it, I would.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. voodoo13

voodoo13 New Member

A few words from the last part of that article are.

"Reptiles are specialized creatures whose lives are intimately linked to their natural environments," says Farinato. "When you disrupt that link, you put the animals' welfare on the line."

To protect their health and yours, reptiles should not be pets. Wild animals are best left in the wild where they belong.

I agree with ony the last line of that article 100% All of my reptiles are Captive bred. My Dumerils for instance is on endagered species list. The dumerils Boa is close to extiction in the wild. SOooo captive breeding keeps that snake in exsistance IMO along with so many others. The thing that really pisses me off with articles like that is they are SOOOOO one sided. They never look at the good that reptile lovers can do. What do you think results in more bites per week dogs and cats or snakes and turtles. My cats that I love have both bitten me at times, mostly playing but sometimes there just in a bad mood and chomp a little. How many peaple have had the crap scratched out of them by a cat? I know I have had my share. None of my snakes or lizards have ever made me bleed like the cat has.

No doubt that escaped snakes or ones let loose dont help us at all. But for them to say most reptiles are not cared for properly BS. How many dogs and cats are mistreated everyday all over the country. So what do we do quit keeping them as well? If a pet snake is found in someones back yard it makes front page news. But yet a stray dog or cat is ignored or just run off or worse.

The HS is now the Enemy for reptile keepers for sure.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Just_Some_Guy

Just_Some_Guy Well-Known Member

Ok this video is going to make you angry what on earth are these guys talking about. Most reptiles are imported. I don't know what its like in america but almost all reptiles in the UK are CBs.

http://www.hsus.org/video_clips/page.jsp?itemID=27259921

Sadly some of the info is true. But but i just can't say it its a family forum

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. shroomhead

shroomhead New Member

The Humane Society is so caught up in their cats, dogs and bunnies that they don't understand exotics, if they're so high and mighty and caring for the animals they wouldn't lie to people, for example my parents bought a dog and they lied about how soon it was fixed and told them that it didn't have worms, of course they were lying on both accounts and a few hundred $ later, the dog is finally healthy, but because of that (and their reptile hate) i don't think i would ever get a dog/cat from them again.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. loyaluntodeath

loyaluntodeath New Member

Hipocritical...they say they care for all animals...well if it dosent have fur they could care less -.- kill a snake and they smile at you and tell you good job, kick a dog and they scream CRUCIFY HIM!!! if it dosent fit their idea of a "normal" pet then its useless to them...

argh -.-

12. ArchimedesArtifex

ArchimedesArtifex Member

On to a similar subject.

RATTLESNAKE ROUNDUPS.

They say that taking animals out of the wild for pet trade or captive breeding is wrong, but what about the THOUSANDS of rattlesnakes that are killed for FUN, NOT EVEN SPORT, EVERY YEAR IN THE US....
    They gas the animals out, keep them without food or water for weeks, then torture, and hurt the reptiles, until finally they are done, and the just chop their ******* heads off.

I wonder what the Humane Society, AND THE REST OF THE WORLD FOR THAT MATTER, would think if I started a kitten round up. I'll go catch all the stray cats I can, keep them for weeks without food and water, and whatever ones survive, I'll kick them around for a while and then shoot them in the head.

The general public doesn't even understand reptiles, they see a snake and think it's going to kill them. OMG RUN IT'S KILLER SNAKES!!!!!1 Even the largest snake in the world, the anaconda, isn't as dangerous as a inhumanely raised pit bull. I could sit here and type for hours, and actually correct my grammer.....Thought I would just make a point.

-Richard

13. Just_Some_Guy

I sent them a very interesting e-mail to them about the reptile community and how large and how many people depend on the reptile trade to make there living. I tried to to keep my cool only slipped a few fragent words in. I also linked them to the 3 largest reptile forums I know. Wonder if i'll get a reply?

14. colinu

colinu New Member

Can you post a transcript of the email? I'd be interested to see what you wrote and how they respond.

15. Just_Some_Guy

Probably not the best idea I'll edit so its more appropiete

16. kephy

kephy Moderator

Re: RE: Humane Society

Really? When have they done that?

The Humane Society is against rattlesnake roundups. Here's one of the many articles they have on the subject.
    link

Not that I'm defending their stance on reptiles as pets, but I think some of you are kind letting your emotions get ahead of you. Lets not forget that even if we don't agree with everything they believe in, they have done a lot of legitimately good things for all kinds of animals.