Humidity

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by Spazzy3, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Spazzy3

Spazzy3 New Member

The humidity in my CWD's tank has been really low all winter and its been impossible so far to get it higher. It usualy stays around 40-50% now, it goes up a little more if im there most of the day to mist it alot, but not much. Its probably because the heat is on all the time now and it drys out the air more. I have peat moss on the bottom of the tank, and 2 plants. They have a swimming pool which only one of them ever uses with a air stone in it. Ive been looking for somthing like a water fountain to put in there or a bigger swimmnig pool for them but i havent found any yet..
    Anyone have any suggestions on how I can raise the humidity in their tank? I want to get another plant for them but It has to be a hanging one because there isnt much more room on the bottom and I dont think thats going to help much anyways.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. MikeDr0

MikeDr0 New Member

im not sure what you have them in or how its set-up but heres what i did.
    1.You make sure that if its a screen top you could use saran wrap i use tin foil so it doesnt start a fire but that will keep alot of it in.
    before i used the foil my humidity was at around 25% now its stays around 60% with the light on i also have a waterfall that helps alot because it splashes alot of water around but i also have a humidifier so its earier for me to keep it at 85-90% humidity.
    you could also get a mister or a fogger misters work better because the fogger can produce molds and mildews if you are interested in a mister i know a site called
    mistking.com sells alot of different ones.
    or you could try a habbamist but i have been told they arent very good you could build a humidifier like mine if you want i will tell you how just let me know hope i was of some sort of help

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Spazzy3

Spazzy3 New Member

Heres a pic of their enclosure, its 6ft tall, 4ft long and 2ft wide.
    [​IMG]
    Its a little different now, the shelfs arnt in there anymore and the big tree that was on the bottom isnt there. They LOVE that hanging plant, they're always in it. They hardly ever leave. I want to try and get them another one soon..
    There are 2 vents open now, I already had to close off the other 3 to keep it from completly drying out.
    I was gunna try a fogger but I heard a lotta people say they wernt that good. I want to get a mister but I dont really have the money for one right now...

I really want to change their whole cage, take all the substrate out and use a different kind (I dont know what yet.. any suggestions??) And i want to get them some type of water fall. I want to add a ton more plants but I dont really know what else I can put in there that wont take up that much floor space. I was thinking some sort of viney plant but im not sure yet... I cant really change the whole cage in the winter though so its going to have to wait until it get warmer in spring sometime.
    How did you make your humidifier? That might help...

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. MikeDr0

MikeDr0 New Member

thats a nice one
    i like it
    i use eco-earth bricks in mine thats pretty much the best thing to use for them because it hold humidity good
    yea i know i have that problem too winter sucks

ok heres how to make one

what youll need
    2 liter bottle
    fish tank air pump
    air stone
    tubing
    drill
    silicone

you first take the drill and make 2 holes in the 2 liter bottle that are the same size as your tubing
    one hole in the cap and one hole about 5-6 inches from the top of the bottle

next you take your tubing and run it into the hole you drilled in the side and stick it through the top of the bottle to attach the air stone (take the cap off first)

then run the tubing with the airstone on it back down to the bottom of the bottle

use your silicone to seal the hole around the tubing you just put in the side

next you stick a piece of tubing into the hole you drilled in the cap and run the tube into your cage

then youll need to seal that hole with silicone too
    (make sure not to seal the cap on the bottle or you wont be able to add water to it)

the you just wait for it to dry (about an hour or 2)
    the fill it with water to about an inch or 1/2 below the hole you drilled in the side

heres mine
    [​IMG]

i know my shits all messy im building a new iguana cage in my room

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Spazzy3

Spazzy3 New Member

I have everything except the air stone so i'll see what I can do about getting one. I hope this works out it would be pretty awesome if it did. thanks.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. MikeDr0

MikeDr0 New Member

no problemo