I finally got a Tokay!

Discussion in 'Tokay Geckos' started by kazmar, Mar 31, 2008.

1. kazmar

kazmar New Member

So last year at about this time, me and my husband went to buy our first lizard ever. We hadn't done much research, but when we saw a tokay, we were convinced. We asked the guy working to help us with one, and he was really rude about us not getting it, because they are too mean. We hadn't even heard about the tokay reputation. We ended up getting a leopard gecko. But then we went last weekend, and finally got a tokay. She is about nine inches right now, even though they said she was really young- anyone know about how old she is? And we've heard a bunch of different humidity requirements, but they aren't the same. And we bought a UV light for her, but I've read that red bulbs are the best. Any advice? She's pretty calm right now, even though we just got her. She only tries to bite when my husband tries to pick her up. What's the best way to get them unstuck to the wall? Thanks in advance for the advice!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Alive_At_Night

Alive_At_Night Embryo

ok.. what i do for my tokay is i have him in a 20 gal tank with repltie apoved bark as substrate (works the best for humidity and keeping the smell down) i keep my humididy around 70-80% in the cage he has a hammok with a stick laying across it so he can get on it easily and a fake log as a hide hole and also i have a small water dish.. and i dont use any speical lighting for him.. since he is noctural ive been told they dont need any.. :p i hope something helped

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. brendywendy

brendywendy Well-Known Member

bot 80 degrees
    70% humidity
    i use a black plastic bin bag, split open on the bottom, filled with soil, and covered with reptibark this seems to keep th emoisture better than either on their own
    the bigger your water bowl the better for keeping the humidity up
    i spray 1/2 times day
    and feed 3 locusts every other day now hes fully grown
    the more foliage, and hiding places he has at every level of his home the better for his state of mind
    the higher, vertical cages are best
    to get mine of the wll i just grab it around the body and start pulling gently, he'll usually release his feet himself.
    i have a red bulb on all day and evening for th eheat, at night i have a heat mat up against the window in case he gets cold

good luck