I got my corn!

Discussion in 'Corns & Rat Snakes' started by ryka, Aug 20, 2008.

1. ryka

ryka Member

Hey everyone I finally got my corn! No pics yet im letting him settle in first... He has a silver background with small black specks and red/orange saddles. Dont know what kind he is yet but im sure once I post pics you'll be able to tell me. :( I got him at Petco (i know bad store..)

Pictures comming soon. Not sure of a name yet but im thinking...

QUestions:
    I already have read the care sheet and got that all down but how long should I wait to feed him the first time? A few days to settle in or no?
    How cold can the temp safely drop for a short time? (like if power goes out, when should I get worried?) mid 60's?

Set up:
    20 gal tall with screen and screen clips to keep him in.
    -I know thats bigger than he needs now but I had it so why not give him extra room :p
    3 hides, one on both sides and in middle.
    2 fake plants comming out of rocks.
    small water bowel
    Aspen snake bedding (feeding in separate cage)
    Digital thermometer (temps kept between 80-88 during day)
    Red heat bulbs for heating (im not a fan of heat mats...)

Im going to get him something to climb on because he is all over the sides of the tank trying to climb up the glass...
    I have larger hides for when he gets bigger and will prolly buy a 40 gallon breeder for him once he is grown.

Anything im missing?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. CalasCorns

CalasCorns Member

It sounds like you got a normal. I'd assume that's what it was if it came from Petco.

Fake plants and rocks are not really necessary. They're just more crap to have to clean once the snake takes a big wet dump on them. I know they look good visually, but you might change your mind once you have to scrub them.

Imo, 88 is too warm. You really don't need to get over 82/83 degrees. Much like cold temps, if the enclosure gets too hot you risk regurges amongst other issues.

Return your red head bulbs and get a UTH. Heat bulbs are nothing but problems and unless your house gets into the 40's you just don't need two heat sources. Lights dry out enclosures (especially screen top ones) so fast that you'll soon have shedding problems on your hands.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. bAlLinLiKeAbOa

bAlLinLiKeAbOa Member

it sounds about right to me, post some pics though.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. ryka

ryka Member

Thanks... anyone have answers to my questions? ->
    QUestions:
    How long should I wait to feed him the first time? A few days to settle in or no?
    How cold can the temp safely drop for a short time? (like if power goes out, when should I get worried?) mid 60's?

The care sheet on this forum says 80-88... I was keeping it 85, thats too hot? If so then what is a propper temp range? 75-85?...

Alright Ill get a UTH, my house gets down to about 55 sometimes in the winter... The UTH alone will keep temps above 75F at that temp?

I definetly get some pics put up as soon as i can.

Thanks

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Herp__Kid

Herp__Kid Member

1. about 5-7 days
    2. it depends the size of the snake, a bigger snake will go longer without heat, it shouldn't be a problem though, it you're worried just take him out and hold him.
    3. around 70 cool side and 80 warm side
    4. don't worry, a uth will keep it warm, especially in a hide, they're powerful

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. asiandude

asiandude New Member

I would go with the UTH b/c snake would feel comfortable using the belly heat. Mine did climb up the glass and all when i got it.

I only wait two days and feed it on the third day. No problem eatting froze/thaw which I find to be good in keeping them in the fridge for storing.

As for the temp..88 is not too hot. I keep it at that temp and with 2" of aspen, the snake only stay on top with then would make it a few degree less unless it borrow under near the UTH.

Keep the temp at that...it okay...I find vine are good for them to keep but make sure screen is lock. i don't use any decor..waste of space and block my view.

12. Herp__Kid

Herp__Kid Member

you need to measure temps where the actual snake is, put the probe in the hide. if its 88 in the hide its to hot