I hate pet stores so much!

Discussion in 'General Discussion and Introductions' started by I_Am_Mike, Oct 23, 2004.

1. I_Am_Mike

I_Am_Mike New Member

I know that posts like these come up alot, but i have just had my first run in with a pet store which angers me so much i just had to share it

I went to a pet store around my house the other day, and i was suprised how many reptiles they had there, especially because it was a small place.
    But what made me more suprised, and pissed off, was how they took care of their animals.
    TANK1- a relativly large tank, not a large base but very tall, it had an inch deep layer of water covering the entire bottom except for the handful of gravel thrown in and a rock, and in this tank was 1 water dragon 1 basalisk, 3 newts and about 10 firebellied toads

TANK2- 20gallon long tank, bark as a substrate with a wading pool at 1 end, in it was 4 mountain horned dragons (all almost a foot long) and a few fire bellied toads

TANK3- 10 gallon, sand substrate with a piece of wood in the middle , in it was a destert collard lizard and a leopard gecko, and this gecko is the sadest little lizard if ever seen its quite small, about 3 inches, and its really really fat and bulbus, it just looks really sick and in bad shape and just looking at him makes me sad

they also had an anole tank, a king snake tank a tree from tank and a beardie tank, these didnt seem as bad, of course the could be much better but you wouldnt expect much more from a pet store.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. *~Amanda~*

*~Amanda~* Member

those Basalisk are ugly! lol they are sooo werid looking esp. hte males! AHH! lol

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. joe5555

joe5555 Member

yup thats the story on pet store. over croud everything so they have to use less tanks and save money.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. *~Amanda~*

*~Amanda~* Member

>:? thats what YOU think!

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. joe5555

joe5555 Member

yes thats what i think for most pet stores but not all. i dont hate pet stores i am going to work in one soon.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. lizardlove

lizardlove New Member

it's just sucks when they put multiple species in one tank! how could they be so naive, it justs cost them money b/c of the deaths! i'm glad my petco isn't so stupid, i don't know if i could work there.

12. *~Amanda~*

*~Amanda~* Member

okay i thought you were sayign all! lmao! muh bad!

13. Darlene

Darlene New Member

I'm wondering if there's some thing you can do. Did the animals look unhealthy in any way? Just went to my pet store this past week to pick up some crickets and the collared lizards looked like they hadn't eaten any weeks! In addition, fecal was all over the cage and they were with lizards at least twice the size they were. It was a sad state. I offered to take this lizards from the manager since they were obviously in a death grip but the manager resisted.

14. I_Am_Mike

I_Am_Mike New Member

the only lizard i saw there that looked really bad was the leo, it was in really bad shape

15. wideglide

wideglide Well-Known Member

Yes there are things you can do and things you shouldn't do.

You should not attempt to buy or rescue any of the animals they have. Doing that only supports them or makes room for more animals to take their place.

You can send a letter to the Better Business Bureau. You can threaten to go to the media if things don't get better. Your local newspaper, TV station, radio stations might help.

Here is a link for info on what can be done.

http://www.anapsid.org/pettrade/index.html

Good luck, I hope you nail their behinds to the wall and get somes things changed.

16. marbledsalamanderbreeder

marbledsalamanderbreeder New Member

Yes many pet stores do that to save money and get better profits. They just dont care about the animals its very sad.

17. I_Am_Mike

I_Am_Mike New Member

i was at the mall again today, and i went back to that pet store to see if anything had changed, and to my surprise, it had, all the reptiles were moved around and in different cages, so were mising and other new ones were there and the only thing that was in the same cage was some newts and turtles, and the desert collarded lizard and the leo, which i just read have been successfully housed together (although i still wouldnt do it) and the leo is looking a bit better. i was shocked, I just hope they stay like this and dont go back to their old ways

18. wideglide

So did you do anything to help make this change? If so, please share!!

19. I_Am_Mike

I_Am_Mike New Member

they actually did this all on their own, i would have liked to have been able to say that because of me a bad pet store had changed their ways, but as long as they have changed im happy

20. wideglide

Hmmm, wonder what happened? Well like you said as long as it's changed that's all that matters.

21. Spot

Spot ReptileBoards Addict

next time you drop by, why don't you compliment them on their efforts and tell them that you'll recommend the store or something. Sometimes, it works better pointing out the positive and hopefully they'll keep working at it!

I was just at a Petsmart near me who actually had the juvie leos and other babies on reptile carpet. (the adults were on playsand, not calci-sand). I told them that was great and that I'll continue to shop there because of their care.